What is your pet peeve injury in the workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tibi

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

are there any injuries that you cause yourself due to lack of concentration again and again and you are angry that you did the same mistake as before?

I have one. It is when I am planing a board with a hand plane and I pull the plane too far on the back motion. The toe of the sole drops down from the board (esp. no.4 plane) and I hit my front hand to the wood with a vigorous force :(

I have found that keeping ultra strong neodymium magnets in the atelier allows me to pull out even the tiny bits of swarf that get embedded in finger tips, but the hole still smarts for 10 minutes or so, or again later when using some "active" type solvent if it gets onto the finger tips.I've got lots of gloves, but it always happens when not wearing them for even 10 seconds.

Hello,

are there any injuries that you cause yourself due to lack of concentration again and again and you are angry that you did the same mistake as before?

I have one. It is when I am planing a board with a hand plane and I pull the plane too far on the back motion. The toe of the sole drops down from the board (esp. no.4 plane) and I hit my front hand to the wood with a vigorous force :(
done that several times, that's one of the reasons I stopped using the no4, it never happens with a no7 or 5 1/2 as the front bit before the mouth is too long.

Last edited:
I find the bulk of my injuries come away from doing the job proper but other handling operations. Cuts while sharpening used to be a big thing but it's moved on recently. I did quite a bit of chiselling over the weekend now my hands are covered in fine nicks. All caused either applying or removing vaseline to and from storage.

It's the bl**dy chisels that have it in for me. Just simple things like removing the little nubs from something I've turned on the lathe.

Tennis elbow...
Oh I'll just lift that massively heavy thing, I'll be careful, it won't make it worse... :rolleyes:

Mwinfrance - same here - although I don't have a clotting problem most cuts seem to bleed profusely before stopping and many a time the only time I've known I had a cut is when I wonder why my fingers are stuck together or in summer when some toes are 'glued' to my flip-flops!

Latest posts

Back