What is this tool?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callumlovatt

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me what this tool is and what it is used for, I found it in my grandads shed.
On the handle it says surform, and something else on the otherside, but i'm not sure what it says.
Thanks
Callum.
tool2.jpg

tool.jpg

tool3.jpg

It looks to me as if it was to cut a slot, assuming the circular part is sharp. There is a clear adjustment for depth of cut.

But most electric drill attachments have some way of clamping onto the drill. B&D or Wolfcraft had slots in the end of the drill with lugs that pivoted into them, before adopting the standard 43mm collar. This thing appears to have nothing like that, so if you gripped the little spindle in a drill chuck, you would have the weight of the drill flopping about.

Maybe it belonged to some sort of scaled down multiple workcentre saw/drill/lathe/slotter combination!

AndyT":1wgni3a4 said:
It looks to me as if it was to cut a slot, assuming the circular part is sharp

otherwise it could result in an unfortunate entanglement of ones tank top
AndyT":1wgni3a4 said:
There is a clear adjustment for depth of cut.

unless one has their tank top pulled up over ones face resulting in poor vision

yes quite !

I meant to say, it's a pretty odd marketing idea to brand your product in a typeface that's quite so unreadable! It's not in Russian by any chance?

Much the same as an Arcoy Rabbetter, (Looks better built) used with saw or wobble blades to cut slots or rebates, just clamp the drive shaft in your electric drill chuck.
arcoy.JPG

Not used it for many years but boy did it earn its keep way back in the 1960's. including trimming doors before the advent of tailed routers.

Attachments

• arcoy.JPG
    arcoy.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 286
Its called a coricut and I still use one. It attaches to an electric drill you can cut grooves trenches and rebates etc with it.
All the best
Rob

thanks for all that info, i had no idea what it was for. I think rob is right though, as it looks like 'corricut' on the side.

callumlovatt":1biso94l said:
thanks for all that info, i had no idea what it was for. I think rob is right though, as it looks like 'corricut' on the side.

The photo's a little lo res, but I read it as "corruout" (I'm guessing an contraction for "corrugated router"). I certainly can't make the letters fit "corricut".

Googling for "corruout" draws a blank though.

Still, there's no doubt WHAT it is.

BugBear

Back