What is this peace off metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Yellow_Ardvark

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title, what is this.

DSCN2508.JPG
DSCN2509.JPG
DSCN2510.JPG
DSCN2511.JPG

Well, just as you've said, it's a piece of metal - several pieces joined together actually!

(Sorry Ardvark. I just couldn't resist - I've only got a little mind you know - and BTW, I have NO idea what it really is).

Mis-marriage between a Russian Samovar and an Arab Hookah pipe perhaps? But behind it there's a biscuit tin, a tea leaves tin, and "a bottle of pop".

Hat ................... coat .....................................

Peace off yourself.

The bottom looks like there could be a castor wheel missing (perished/disintegrated).

What does the hooky bit at the back look like?

It looks like one of those counter -weights that you get on those old raising and lowering electric lamps The bottom/top would have a wheel that the flex went round. and there look to be holes in the top so it could be filled with something like sand or lead shot.

Just found one on Ebay, they are called - Retractable pully pendant lights.

To go with that maybe, the petal shapes look just like the ones that hold the glass globe/shade on old oil lamps.
How that works with the coffee grinder thingy I haven’t the faintest.
Ian

Looks like an old bell hanger, that used to hang in the servant quarters. Indicating what room the master had pulled the bell rope in.

My first thought was a hanging device for a large chandelier. My second thought was, it's time for coffee.

Last edited:
It looks like one of those counter -weights that you get on those old raising and lowering electric lamps The bottom/top would have a wheel that the flex went round. and there look to be holes in the top so it could be filled with something like sand or lead shot.

Just found one on Ebay, they are called - Retractable pully pendant lights.

I now have to go find a suitable light now.
YAY.

I now have to go find a suitable light now.

Looking at the picture above your post (from philogas), I think the counterweight would need its weight adjusting to be twice that of the light fitting, so it has 'neutral buoyancy'.

It would be interesting to open up the one you have and see if and how its mass can or could be fine-tuned.

Looking at the picture, I would guess that you would not adjust it by touching with your hand, rather you would use a stick. Otherwise either the weight would be out of reach or you would hit your head on the light fitting.

Latest posts

Back