What is the tool used to secure two mitred edges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teejay

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to repair a wooden frame on a hutch which holds the corners together and makes the hutch strong. The hutch frame corners have what appear to be staples in them which wrap around the two pieces of wood making the corners, which from the outside edge are at 90 from each other. Does anyone know how this is achieved?

Hi

Don't know of any tooling to allow that type of staple to be fitted at home - why not spring the joint and re-secure with glue and pins?

Regards Mick

You could make up a bracket like this from a small sheet of galv. steel and screw it on.

31oKNB1FQFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sheepdisease":3b22qeja said:
Could you please explain?

Sorry :oops:

Carefully cut through the staples with a junior hacksaw - this should allow you to spread, (spring), the joint apart far enough to be able to inject glue into it. Close up the joint and secure it with thin nails, (pins), inserted through the same faces as the staples.

Regards Mick

How about a flat L shaped bracket just screwed on, assuming you're not worried about the look and are after a simple cheap fix?

Thank you for your replies. I am interested in the final look rather than a cheap fix which is why a metal bracket will not be used, I think that I might just go with the advice Mick gave unless anyone else has any better (neater) ideas?

If you want a neat look, then I would go for the glue option, or it you need more strength then drill a hole in each mitre and add a dowel.

Latest posts

Back