What is the sound of one hand clamping?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Aldi ones are cracking value and work really well. You can even turn the heads round to act as spreaders too.

I've had one like the Adli before but they stopped gripping after a while as it kept slipping on the bar and roughing the bar didn't fix it - can you say how long and much use of the you've had Rhossydd?

rafezetter":2s5ix3h7 said:
I've had one like the Adli before but they stopped gripping after a while as it kept slipping on the bar and roughing the bar didn't fix it

That's the problem with Solo clamps, and there's a risky stage before they start obviously slipping when you can squeeze them up tight so you think the job's done, but they haven't locked at the full compression and slip back a mill. If it's one clamp amongst many you don't realise that it's not actually contributing any clamping pressure. For that reason I know of one workshop that won't use them for multi-clamp operations, only as a quick way of locking a fence or securing a jig when there's only one clamp involved...they say "solo clamp" means just that, use it on its own or not at all!

On the Aldi one there is a "pin" which will break in its housing.
I fixed this by drilling in one side and out of the other and putting a nut and bolt in........m4 IIRC
It's pretty obvious when you take off the cover
This seems to fix the slipping problem as well
I have bust ( my fault) the smallest ones so will be in Aldi this week for more
They are so cheap even if you did only get a year ( mine have lasted at least 5) they are still good value.

I am a big fan of the newer model Irwin Quick Grips! I got the 6" ones for about £4.00 each in a local bargain shop, they are excellent!

Wow! Those Axi re-brand Solos are expensive! I can get genuine Solos for £6 each locally.

Having said that, I took a gamble on some Duratool ones from CPC a few years ago. They were on offer at just under £2 each +VAT so I bought 20 of them. I have to say they are excellent and haven't suffered with grip loss at all.

Not a great fan of the Aldi ones. Bought 2 mixed packs last year and after very light use they all failed and ended up in the bin.
By contrast I bought a wolfcraft one 25 years ago and it still works as well as the day I bought it! Always the first clamp I reach for.

At the risk of being facetious, I have to admit that in my workshop "the sound of one hand clamping" is occasionally a crash of clamp and bits of wood on the floor, followed a volley of good old-fashioned Anglo-Saxon.

I've never used those Solo-type cramps, mostly because I have an inherent dislike, born of long experience, of things that are more complicated than they need to be. Lots of moving parts usually means something breaking or wearing out prematurely unless it's made to very rigorous, and therefore expensive, standards. I'll stick with the F-cramps and G-cramps and a bit of juggling to get the first one on. Usually, once you've got one on and tight, any others needed are a doddle.

redmoorphil":1i7b1e8d said:
Not a great fan of the Aldi ones. Bought 2 mixed packs last year and after very light use they all failed and ended up in the bin.
By contrast I bought a wolfcraft one 25 years ago and it still works as well as the day I bought it! Always the first clamp I reach for.

You are right they will fail, but as I said earlier a 10 mins modification fixes them for good.

A little off topic.
Are the rubber covers available for the Irwin Record type slider clamps?

Bod

Back