What is the ideal size & handle for a hook knife?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StraightOffTheArk

Established Member
Reaction score
I fancy making some hook knives for spoon/bowl making. Rather than buy one I thought I'd make a couple, however, I've never actually seen one in the flesh, so any advice on useful sizes would be appreciated. At the moment I'm thinking a 10mm wide strip of 2mm thick 01 tool steel would be an OK starting point. Any thoughts on the most useful size of curve and the best way to attach to the handle would also be appreciated. Hopefully, by the time the steel arrives, the weather will be a little more 'shed friendly'!

Cheers,

Carl
hook knife.jpg

Attachments

• hook knife.jpg
    hook knife.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,151
This one has a handle 107mm long, including the ferrule. At its widest point the handle has a major diameter of 30mm and a minor diameter of 24mm. The visible part of the blade would be 87mm long if straightened out and its width is 15mm.

It is marked Erik Frost Mora Sweden. I haven't really learned to use it properly - I can't resist pushing with my left thumb, which is not advisable. However, it is very good for hollowing pumpkins to make Halloween lamps. :)

I hope you tell us how you get on with your knives and post some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_3243C.jpg
    IMG_3243C.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 1,134
Thanks for the measurements, it is extremely helpful - I'll be making left and right handed versions, because I know that I'll also want to push with my thumb! I will do some sort of WIP when I get going, it's always good to get advice along the way. I hadn't thought of the pumpkin application, but now you mention it, the shape is ideal - at least I know that it'll be good for something!

Cheers,

Carl

You might want to look at the Robin Wood or Ben Orford knives too, some carvers prefer quite a long, slender handle.

I have made a couple from 3mm O1 steel

3rd August by Racers, on Flickr

One is glued and pined the other one is just epoxied in to the handle both feel really solid.
The size of handle depends on the size of your hand, the slender one feel best for me.

I haven't found the need or right and left hand hook knives, cut proof kevlar gloves are useful they save your fingers.

Pete

Sheffield Tony":1nxckcak said:
You might want to look at the Robin Wood or Ben Orford knives too, some carvers prefer quite a long, slender handle.

Thanks for that - I will check them out, also, long and slender hadn't occurred to me so I will experiment with handles as well.

If you have used them before, what kind of radius have you found the most useful?

Cheers,

Carl

Pete, thanks for the information and photo. It doesn't look like your handle is in two halves, so did you drill a series of holes, clean them out, fill with epoxy and then insert the blade?

I'm just about to order some metal, when it arrives I'll post pictures etc.

Cheers,

Carl

StraightOffTheArk":1p0fkhmf said:
Sheffield Tony":1p0fkhmf said:

Thanks for that - I will check them out, also, long and slender hadn't occurred to me so I will experiment with handles as well.

If you have used them before, what kind of radius have you found the most useful?

I'm in a similar position to you - I'm not a spoon carver so have never bought a knife. I made some small bowls and wanted a pair of knives, so I got a bit of O1, bent it hot to make a ? shape, ground, hardened and stuck a rather short turned handle on it. Realised it was left handed, so made a right handed one the same. The curve on mine is 1 1/4" diameter, which is not coincidentally the size of a heavy duty tractor rear linkage pin. Here's one of them:

spoon-knife.jpg

I would not recommend it as a model. I think the longer, flatter or oval handle would be less fatiguing on the hands compared to gripping a round, stubby handle.

Attachments

• spoon-knife.jpg
    spoon-knife.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 497
StraightOffTheArk":2xrqx2tc said:
Pete, thanks for the information and photo. It doesn't look like your handle is in two halves, so did you drill a series of holes, clean them out, fill with epoxy and then insert the blade?

I'm just about to order some metal, when it arrives I'll post pictures etc.

Cheers,

Carl

Yes, drilled out and epoxyed.

Pete

Thank you both for your replies - I've had a look at the Robin Wood and Ben Orford sites and they have some very helpful videos, especially the Robin Wood site, really showing just how useful that relatively long and thin handle is, and has completely changed my rather vague plans on handle shape.

Cheers,

Carl

Latest posts

Back