What is the correct name for this joint?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murrmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Imagine, if you will, a length of wood 1 inch square , and say one foot in length, glued to a flat board.

A second length , also one inch square, is butted up at right angles to the first, (and will also be glued down to the board eventually) but instead of a plain butt joint, the end of the second piece is cut at , say a 30 degree angle , and a corresponding full width angled pocket/mortise/socket is cut into the first piece to receive it, going from nothing at the top to 1/2" (or whatever) at the bottom.. So looking down on the joint from the top it looks like a butt joint.

What is the technically correct name for such a joint ? I am thinking "angled housing joint", but there may well be a more correct name.

No, it's not a scarf joint ... the two pieces are at right angles to each other ... they form a T ... the second piece is jointed in the middle of the first piece, not at the end.

Well it depends - if you are saying the vertical has a slot like a mortice and the angled piece something akin to a tenon, then it's a mortice and tenon; the angle is irrelevant. If you mean that the whole end of the second piece is angled then it would be akin to a joint using a birdsmouth, as used in framing, but this is not normally used as a specific joint per se. If you wanted this angled detail, then something akin to a double "half lap" or in this case a 1/3 + 1/3 lap - like a reverse mortise and tenon where the middle is removed leaving 2 outer angled tenons with corresponding "slots" cut into the outer face would give the appearance it sounds like you want.

Am I right you in thinking are going for something similar to this in the 4th picture? Bear in mind the angles seen are just the outer visual; inside the joint is far more complicated.

http://norococo.blogspot.ca/2009/07/idea-notebook-furniture-design-wood.html

But, if you mean a normal mortice and tenon why would you do such a thing apart from requiring the angle for clearance for something. If no clearance is required, why the need for the angle all the way across - it just makes it overly complicated and more difficult to make the mortice to the corresponding angle. There are simpler joints to make that give lager glue surface and better strength than this; a full mortice and tenon or if you still need some clearance a stepped (haunched) tenon, dovetail, half lap (or halving joint).

If it's for aesthetics as they are both glued to a board, then it's merely how you've arranged the wood and has no proper name as it's not a proper joint used in normal furniture making to my admittedly limited (compared to others here) knowledge.

Giving dimensions of 1" square was a bit misleading, perhaps ...the joint is actually for the bracing on the underside of a acoustic guitar top, where the end of one brace meets the side of another. Sometimes these are just butt jointed, but for this particular application I need to pocket the end of one brace into the side of another.

It would appear that the correct description of what I am doing is a "stopped tapered housing joint".

Back