What ideas have you had for reducing Electricity consumption

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance of a copy, I was about to build similar but easier to start from someone else's homework rather than a blank sheet! I'd come to a similar conclusion on air changes, I'd got to about 2kW of heating duty to manage said air changes. I think a forced air system with an inlet/outlet exchanger is the way forwards.
Sure, send me your email in a PM and I'll forward it after adding a few notes about how it's conceived.

The main steps we have taken, are not using the tumble drier or the oven. We now use a Remoska to cook things like roast chicken. To supplement the washing line we installed a drying rack which makes use of the heat from our oil-fired Rayburn that is just on tick=over Also anything on stand-by, like the TV,,microwave, or computers, is turned off when not in use
The most significant saving has been the discovery of a fault in the ring main that serves part of the ground floor..With this faulty circuit out of the loop. our electricity consumption has significantly reduced.

The kettle got swapped a few months ago - there's a thread on it somewhere here. That just leaves the 2 halogen bulbs in the kitchen extractor: they're on my list to change to to LED, but have to swap the driver out.

Got a few 8W LED bulkhead lights outside - looking to replace one (to start with) with an eyelid version and try out a 4W bulb and see how it looks.

The tumble dryer is a heat pump version so is more efficient than many but the the new pulley washing line is up - so making that the default option as opposed to the tumble dryer.

Ok thinking cap time . You have a bath ,shower ,wash the pots ,dish washer ,washing machine what about all the heat that is in the water it goes down the grid so i was thinking good heat exchanger seperate storage tank then reintroduce the warmed water back into the hot water system it would take less power to heat back up to your normal hot water temp . Ok combi boilers need a little thinking out but must be possible lets hear some negatives and positives

Ok thinking cap time . You have a bath ,shower ,wash the pots ,dish washer ,washing machine what about all the heat that is in the water it goes down the grid so i was thinking good heat exchanger seperate storage tank then reintroduce the warmed water back into the hot water system it would take less power to heat back up to your normal hot water temp . Ok combi boilers need a little thinking out but must be possible lets hear some negatives and positives
https://thecodestore.co.uk/products/energy/waste-water-heat-recovery/

I ride the bus to work when I go to work. When the spouse isn't here, which is sometimes not often enough, i cut the heat back and only heat or cool part of the house, and I shower in about two minutes.

Multifaceted reasons more than just energy use or climate change - more like "am I really better off or happier pigging things than not?" the answer is no.

I had a victoriana terrace with the cold wind whistling up through the floorboards, chilling my feet, which the central heating couldn't do anything about. If it were just me I'd have lifted the floorboards & installed ridgid insulation boards between the rafters & 300mm down the walls. However that wasn't an option so I spent a weekend on my back under the floorboards stapling up multifoil 'blankets'. It really did help but I didn't get to feel the full benefit as we moved out before I could finish the understairs section. I glued foam 300mm boards to the walls too.

I was told by a professional that insulating the footings of buildings on the outside with thick polystyrene stopped a lot of the thermal bridging of the cold ground.

I cut a square out of the floorboards & fitted an insulated hatch where below I stored our drinks & sealed/ bagged up fruit & veg etc which kept everything chilled enough for me but pre-cooled things that needed to go in the fridge at a later date.

Also there is a way to triple glaze your windows by making frames & stretching plastic sheeting over them (in the same manner as an artist's canvass is) & placing them on the inside of your windows. This was done at my old workshop & it really does help.

Togs

I wonder how much heat is lost through the bottom of a bath tub ? Soaking out the aches in hot water is priceless. It might stay warm longer if I used a can of spray foam underneath :)

Often thought the same thing as a kid - back when people still took baths. Not out of conservation, but the desire to lay lazily in the tub without being rushed out by the cold water.

Miser wisdom when I was a kid to allow anything with warm water to cool before "wasting the heat and letting it go down the drain".

Got one of these yesterday - will be testing over weekend
I have a few of those - one is permanently in use: the fridge freezer. And 2 others - for checking the usage on things that pop into my head every know and then.

Where cheap as chips on a certain auction site.

Very useful gadgets.

Other side comment - My office is in semi finished basement. But office is a loosely used term. I have a table and two desks set up. Area is carpeted but winter temperature can be around 62F. Not a problem in short term, but if you work at a desk most of the day, you can start to get stiff fingers and shivers.

I got a lot of grief from my spouse about installing a split or something for the basement area to heat and cool, which - fine - that's energy efficient, but the head is below the unit which I don't love. It's supported, though -the units are supposedly fine with it. But why cool and heat the whole area to change the temperature 8 or 10 degrees?

I put a heating pad on my chair. It uses about 40 watts. I like it better than a slightly warmer room - it feels good to sit on it. The worst thing that could happen is that you find you don't like it and then do something more expensive.

Last edited:
Phil Pascoe
her indoors is looking at the same cooker....
r they really that good....?
I know u only heat up a tiny space.....
Just about the only things they don't do is deep fry and sous vide, though apparently the American market ones do sous vide but don't prove bread. They come with basic accessories and any extras although not cheap are good quality. Good for tough meats - you can part pressure cook then air fry or air roast. You can slow cook, dehydrate, prove and bake bread (better than a domestic oven) etc... They are much more energy efficient than a cooker as well.
I put a meter on mine for bread - a loaf takes one unit, 30p at the moment - so unless I was to bake a few loaves at a time (which I then need freezer space for) it's cheaper. Four pasties would take less than twice that. Easy cleaning up, as well.

Last edited:
In my experiance under most baths there is boards missing large gaps round edges next to walls , When i was putting timber work in for refurbs i always re floorboarded under the bath and toilet or all floor area if in poor condition then expanding foam round all edges before skirting added, The plumber respected my work and did not hack at floorboards before fitting new bath leaving a draft free bathroom

Back