What I have learned today (or recently)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penny

Established Member
Reaction score
When using a 45mm Forstner bit, don't be lazy. Get the pillar drill out and do it properly instead of trying to use a hand held power drill and making a mess of the workpiece :oops:

What are your recent lessons learned?

That I actually hate my current occupation and dearly wish I had served my time as a joiner.

I suppose the lesson learned is gratitude for having a job. What are you making Penny?

Heliotrobe":2cfap4yk said:
That I actually hate my current occupation and dearly wish I had served my time as a joiner.

I suppose the lesson learned is gratitude for having a job. What are you making Penny?

Only a candle holder. Managed to fix it though.

Presume nothing

Learnt this years ago but reguly get a reminder.

Oh and there is no such thing as a five minute job

Today I learnt two things.
1. Don't daydream and look out the window when using a belt sander.
2. When you are turning a bowl and need a 62mm spigot on the base so you can chuck it, 60mm is NOT close enough - no matter how much you tighten the jaws.
And a bonus third:
3. I know far more swear words than I thought.

Good stuff. At least you managed to sort it. That's half the skill in woodwork! Ha!Ha!

I remember not long back making a door in Shorea completely by hand. It was framed, ledged and braced with tongue and groove paneling to the front. I was really a bit too pleased with it. A day after it was hung I promptly fired a massive pinch bar through the tongue and groove panel when trying to lever out a large garden stone adjacent to the house. Absolutely gutted but like you I manage to fix it.

Lesson Learned!

I learned that when I say to myself, ''maybe I'll use my oval skew for that'', I should really just switch off the lathe and sit with my chickens for an hour or two.

NazNomad":1ayh62ze said:
I learned that when I say to myself, ''maybe I'll use my oval skew for that'', I should really just switch off the lathe and sit with my chickens for an hour or two.

I like that.

I have an evil oval skew that glares at me every time I turn something - "please play with me" it says.

I put my fingers in my ears and go wah! wah! wah!

Today, after visiting my surgeon and having my dressings removed from surgery, I learned that from now on I have to buy all my shoes in the bargain bin :( as I now require a size 9 left and size 10 right :shock:

Droogs":386k2rox said:
Today, after visiting my surgeon and having my dressings removed from surgery, I learned that from now on I have to buy all my shoes in the bargain bin :( as I now require a size 9 left and size 10 right :shock:

My feet are only half a size different but have always been like that. It means every pair is a compromise and rarely a good one. With modern computerised manufacturing and stock control it must surely be possible to cater for people like us.

Jim

Droog, you need to buy two pairs, 9 and 10, and team up with someone with the opposite problem. Surely there is a National Oddfeet Association?

Droogs,

Responding to your post prompted me to check this online, where I dicovered from Clarks Shoes website that they heve an odd sizes service for children's shoes. No mention of adults, so I emailed them and have now had confirmation that they offer the same service for adults, so long as the difference is a whole size - no use for me but if you are now a whole size different, Clarks may be the answer to your problem.

Jim

yetloh":30x02xd6 said:
Droogs,

Responding to your post prompted me to check this online, where I dicovered from Clarks Shoes website that they heve an odd sizes service for children's shoes. No mention of adults, so I emailed them and have now had confirmation that they offer the same service for adults, so long as the difference is a whole size - no use for me but if you are now a whole size different, Clarks may be the answer to your problem.

Jim

Thank you very much Jim, will do just that
:)

Why is he missing your leg? some kind of fetishist is he?

Back