What hinges for a mirrored door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I am about to build a bathroom cabinet that will have a 850mm x 550mm, 6mm thick mirror mounted on the door. Since this is going to add quite a bit of weight what is going to be the best hinges to use?

Andrew

I've done several and just used kitchen type hinges and stuck the mirror to the door with mirror adhesive.

Probably want 3 hinges with the 6mm mirror, I usually use 4mm with a safety backing

This and the next pic both have doors about 500mm wide and 800 tall

Jason

Like Jason, I've used kitchen-type concealed hinges for bathroom cabinets with mirrors on the doors, with no problems. Just use a sufficient number of hinges to cope with the increased weight. With the ones I've done, my glass supplier has always glued the mirrors to the doors for me.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks,

I had thought about piano hinges but not sure how secure they would be screwed into the edge of MFC. So looks like kitchen cabinet hinges it is. Would three be enough for a 800x500mm cabinet? I was hoping to have the mirror overlapping the door by about 25mm which is why it needs to be thicker than it otherwise would be. 6mm seems reasonable. It will then act as a handle as well as being set floating above the sink.

Thinking about it I can't quite get my head around whether this will cause problems with kitchen hinges which by their very design keep the door within the carcase area. I guess if the mirror is in front they can be adjusted so that it swings around to the side.

Are there any other gotchas that I have missed?

Andrew

To do it with an overhanging door you need use inset hinges and fit the mounting plate to the door and drill the carcase for the hinge boss.

3 hinges will be fine.

Thanks Jason,

I had reaslised that I was going to have to be careful choosing hinges but using one the other way around is inspired. I am guessing that something like this is probably what I am looking for but used with a door that is face fitted rather than inset.

Andrew

Thats it, just moumt the wrong way round. Always best to try it on scraps first before drilling your door (or carcase in this instance)

J

Back