what grit are slate sharpening stones?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SammyP64

Established Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

As the name implies, i have some english slate stones, that my father has been using for years, in various sizes, and i was wondering what grit sizes they are ( i know that with natural stones its not very exact, but i was looking for general between this and this point ish size grits) ?

Thanks

Sam

you could try them and see how fine a finish they give? 400 you can see the grain, 800 gives a dull grey and 2000? upwards starts to get a reflective, chromey finish.
Something like that anyway

Thanks very much for that Milkman,

But i wanted grit sizes if possible so i could get one or two to mach toi it, if it was 2000 grit, i would get a 7000 ish and a 1000 ish one for example,

But that is a good idea too,

Sam

SammyP64":i5rokqgf said:
hey guys,

As the name implies, i have some english slate stones, that my father has been using for years, in various sizes, and i was wondering what grit sizes they are ( i know that with natural stones its not very exact, but i was looking for general between this and this point ish size grits) ?

Thanks

Sam

Not only do natural stones vary, but "slate" covers a very wide variety of natural stones, from pretty damn coarse (say 320 grit FEPA) to rather fine (say 1000-1200).

In any case, there are more factors in cutting speed and edge quality than particle size.

You'll just have to try them.

BugBear

well, it cuts really damn slow, but leaves a fairly pollished surface,

I have what i presume is a washita stone too, it looks like Arkansas but its obviously an oil stone, as when tested with one and then the other, the difference was starteling, about 1000 grit, i recon as it leaves a misty polish and some scratch marks.

Any help on either?

or how good the belgian yellow stones are as they look really appealing, think jk had one for a while from the looks in one of his books

Sammy

Back