What finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodynut

Reaction score
Hi, been a while since I've visited this forum, but I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I've been making some wall hanging decorations cut from solid wood (mainly Ash)

I've been using a linseed oil finish because of its quick and easy, wipe on wipe off application, the trouble is, after a few days of hanging on the wall it leaches out a bit of oil on to the wall/wallpaper (SWMBO not impressed)

Will all oil finishes be the same?

Is there an alternative finish that is easy and quick to apply that gets in to all the nooks and crannies but doesn't come with a free wallpapering repair job to do :? ?

Thanks in advance

Claymore":35s36ie6 said:
I recently started using Chestnut cellulose sanding sealer and then chestnut wax and the finish is beautiful.... silky finish and very quick to do (the sealer dries in ten minutes and then i apply 4 coats of wax..... leave for 30 mins and then use plastic wirewool 240grit before applying more coats and finally buffed with a soft cloth (microfleece)
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian

That's a bit more sophisticated than my way, Brian. Two quick swipes with a well used piece of 60 grit glass paper, then throw it in a box, never to see the light of day again. :wink:

What Brian has suggested is an excellent finish. Another alternative and one which I use on most of the things I make is to dip the piece into a tub of teak or tung oil, this will bring out the full beauty of the wood, then allow to dry for 24 hours. Then I wax polish it. Never had a problem with this method.

martinka":omzvgl6q said:
That's a bit more sophisticated than my way, Brian. Two quick swipes with a well used piece of 60 grit glass paper, then throw it in a box, never to see the light of day again. :wink:

Lol I am glad I am not the only one, I have a drawer full of stuff cut out but not finished, I hate finishing as I usually spoil the item with my efforts, generally I just use a water based clear varnish or a better way is to use a can of quick drying spray varnish.

Sorry to be a bit late on this one woodynut, only just seen your OP.

If you visit the US website for toy making, and have a bit of a search around, there's a free recipe for making your own "natural wax/oil" finish - "childproof" of course.

I've not tried myself (yet) but it sounds good and very simple, and since it's a US site concerned 99% with kids toys (for tiny tots upwards) I can't imagine that there is any problem with any leaching of the finish once it's dried.

Briefly it involves shaving a hard wax block into small shavings, then melting the resulting shavings into an oil (just about any oil apparently) with it all in a saucepan on a domestic stove. Apparently temperature control is important, but I seem to remember the lady author tells you what kind of simple kitchen thermometer to buy.

Here's the link to the home page - you'll need to search to find the recipe but it's easy to find (it's a short instructional video):

http://www.toymakingplans.com/index.php

HTH (and hope no too late).

AES

Back