What effect does cold weather have on glues and finishes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBen

Established Member
Reaction score
As the title describes, what effect does the cold weather have on glues and finishes?

I've noticed that titebond and pva go white when used in the cold.
I presume that this will alter the strength of the glue but to what extent?

How do finishes cope with the cold?

Are there minimum temperate that glues and finishes should be used in?

I know that ideally they should all be used fairly warm but I doubt there are many people with heated workshops who are able to maintain an above freezing temperature 24/7.

On the back of the bottles it says not to allow it to freeze but I've also heard people say that it doesn't matter.

Anyone able to clarify?

Hello Benjy,

I wont leave anything of finishes or glues apart from paste wax outside in workshop, certainly friction polish in my experience doesn't perform for me if its been exposed to extreme cold it becomes something resembling bogies instead of a polish. Glues a friend told me that the glue will still work but good chance it wont be nearly as strong a bond, and as I turn a lot of glued wood I prefer to play safe.

It doesn't hurt me to take it in doors so basically i'm tightfisted and don't want to buy unless I have to mate.

Is best information I have for you.

All best.

Rend.

The cold is just no good for adhesives.... Most products have information regarding minimum storage temperatures and these are best to follow. At work we buy our adhesive in pallet form, as a 4ft square container and before shutting down for Christmas we covered it in insulation to prevent any damage from lower temperatures, even though we have frost protected heating left on just in case.

Anything that is water based will be sensitive to freezing. Some of the less sensitive ones may survive, but it is not worth the risk. Solvent based finishes and glues should be ok as long as you warm them up completely before use

I start with new glue each spring and don't bother trying to glue anything outside as the temperature drops. If you try to use last years glue after winter, sooner or later you will regret it. Too large a container is a false economy, buy small and often.

Back