Hey you warm weather jabronis!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
(that's a word I learned in college in the 1990s).

One of the things that surprised me in the US is when our scottish friends visit and talk about the tonnage of hay they can make per acre there, but they can't grow corn (due to lack of heat).

Yesterday, I was cold-fingering it in the shop over lunch (which is usually just a matter of moving around more) and it was 21F outside. 41F inside. You get used to this pretty quickly. In the coldest depths here (when it may get once a year for a couple of days below zero F and then around 6-10F during the day), the middle of my shop may get close to freezing. But I've never lost any glue or anything (PVA being sensitive to failure to work after freezing).

I thought about you guys over there, as it'll be mid to high 90s a couple of days next summer and then I'll be groaning about the dewpoint in the shop (mid 70s F in the summer sometimes - which is a real bear, even if the in-shop temp only gets to about 85).

As I was checking the temps yesterday moving my fingers around, I saw that london was 54F. On the bright side (no pun intended), my valley region is one of the least sunny areas in the states, and we still have about 50-60% more sunshine hours per year than london - just need to endure some booger crisping temps a couple of times a year, and some stinky pits temperature about 6 months from then. In the winter here, when you want to glue something, you either have to haul it to another room or make a tent or heat box (Depending on the size). Common when I was a kid for people to put a 100W light bulb in animal housing outside in the winter, and then a blanket across the door. I could never understand why animals needed light all night at a very young age (of course the point wasn't the light). Same with wells, a well house is built over a well and the well head covered with an incandescent light where it exits the well. we can still get those types of bulbs here, but they're special order.

As a kid, I lived somewhere warmer (about 3F warmer on average during the year) and perhaps a quarter of the population locally back then had air conditioning. Now it's close to 100%. We've all gone a bit soft.

What are the crappiest places to have a shop in England? All things considered, where I am is a pretty good place as the local wood supply is just about endless and anyone really wanting to can get a split system and heat and cool a fairly large shop to something workable.

The SW can be pretty humid, and the further West you go the worse it is. I am in Dorset a county on the south coast, the official Eastern edge of the West Country. Humidity is forecast to be up to 90% tomorrow with a temperature of 8 degrees c. or 48 degrees f. From Christmas the temperature has fluctuated between 3 c, 35 f to 13 c 55 f. Snow is not that common in this part of Dorset, the SE, but you only have to go 7 or eight miles North and the town of Blandford Forum will have snow. Go another twenty five miles North to the town of Shaftesbury, and snow is more common, but it is about 295m. above sea level. Where I am is only 80m above.

My mother was from a small town on the Lizard Peninsula in Cornwall which is Englands' most Southerly point,(Lizard Point), she never saw snow until the family moved up to Dorset, and barely knew what a frost was.

The SE of England is dryer than the SW and it is often a bit colder.

Nigel.

@D_W 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 just at your 2nd paragraph, first sentence. Oh I love the how different uk and us english is

1611952155934.png

Had to look this up as Farenheit is another language.
I keep my workshop about 5-6 °C at this time of the year. I might turn the heat up to 10-12°C if I'm going to be in there for a while and/or want to glue something.

View attachment 102115
Had to look this up as Farenheit is another language.
I keep my workshop about 5-6 °C at this time of the year. I might turn the heat up to 10-12°C if I'm going to be in there for a while and/or want to glue something.

that 5-6c is about the average here (but my shop is half underground and surrounded by heated living space to one side and entirely from above.

A standalone shop without heat here would be tough - as it would generally be below 0C in the winter, perhaps approaching -20C once or twice a year.

The mrs. would prefer a standalone shop, though.

@D_W 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 just at your 2nd paragraph, first sentence. Oh I love the how different uk and us english is

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that :)

I guess the question all comes down to circumstances - I'm sure there are some workshops oop north that are cosy all year round - Steve Maskery's (late of this forum) come to mind, I guess the real answer is anywhere the temperature in the shop drops consistently below 8/9 deg's being the lowest the you can safely get away with using PVA and most finishes.

I've read that sentence......... " Yesterday, I was cold-fingering it in the shop over lunch" ................. I just don't see whats wrong with that sentence, apart from wondering what "it" is.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

im curious about how long his finger had to be in the fridge

jabroni - jarbroni - Bing video

Not sure if that's viewable - never saw a video from bing before.

Sitting in mathematics lecture in college, a dude in front of me had a shirt on that said "jabroni" on the back, like a sports jersey would.

The professor (massively interested in his subject matter and clueless about the entire rest of the world said). ja.....ja...

.jabroni. jabroni...what's jabroni?

(it was something from the Rock, and I'm not ashamed to admit by that age, I wasn't watching pro wrestling and didn't know what it was, either).

As to the fascination with sentence structure on a woodworking forum.....I'll gladly take strong math and indifferent verbal. It pays here. Being a pedant doesn't.

Last edited:
im curious about how long his finger had to be in the fridge

shop, fridge.....same temperature, especially on the cold end and especially metalworking with bare hands (until the grinding and forging starts).

A standalone shop without heat here would be tough - as it would generally be below 0C in the winter, perhaps approaching -20C once or twice a year.

I have an oil heater in my workshop that's on a thermostat. Without it, the temperature would hover around freezing at this time of year. Not good for the glue and finishes.
-20 doesn't happen around here.

"Cold fingering" could mean very different things to different people.

I have an oil heater in my workshop that's on a thermostat. Without it, the temperature would hover around freezing at this time of year. Not good for the glue and finishes.
-20 doesn't happen around here.

"Cold fingering" could mean very different things to different people.

I'd like to say that such a thing doesn't have a definition here in the states (other than walking around handling things in the shop in this case with frigid fingers), but I didn't check the urban dictionary.

Now that I think about it, it sounds a bit felonious.

Hmm. :unsure: At the moment the relative humidity is 75% and the temperature is -10C with the wind chill of -16C. A few days ago it was -34C with wind chill down to -45C. 🥶 When that humidity is warmed up to room temperature it gets a lot dryer. It’s generally a dry climate around here year round. Average rainfall is around 10”/250mm. I do understand wet weather as I used to live on the West Coast where the rainfall was 4’/1.2 meters a year.

Now here is where you might hate me. My shop and garage are attached to the house with the shop above the garage. The garage is heated with a ceiling mounted gas furnace and is kept at about 15C unless SWMBO is casting resin in which case it’s 21C. Nice to get in a warm vehicle. :) My shop is heated with a fan and radiator warmed with a demand combination boiler that prioritizes domestic hot water, then shop heat. House is heated with a forced air gas furnace. Shop is kept at 20C give or take a degree. I don’t have to cold finger anything nor worry about rust or glue not holding.

Warm Pete

our cold and dry is nothing compared to saskatoon cold and dry.

The only reason I really notice the dryness of the really cold temperature is that I have some fairly expensive 16/4 american beech for planes. When it gets below about 0F here, because of the low absolute moisture potential in the air, even if the shop is 35 degrees, the beech can get iffy with cracking.

Here's the obnoxious part - it can be three or five years old and hit a temperature it's not seen in a while outside, and the inside air will be so dry that the years old clear bone dry beech will crack. We've only had one snap of -15F or so in the last 5 years, but a bunch of my years dried beech billets end checked and one side checked (!!!!!).

Planes from England, even when they're centuries old, don't seem to be ready for the dryness over here, either.

But yes, I'm a little jealous of that shop temp! I have the option here of updating the garage door on my shop and putting a split head in, but just haven't done it. Your shop would be tough bones without any heat in saskatoon, but mine is something I can *just* tolerate on the coldest days (glue comment above accounted for - no gluing in a shop that hovers between about 0C to 10C.

since covid time, I've been working in the basement adjacent to the shop. IT's about 60F here In the summer, it's stanky and humid outside, but the ducting isn't covered in the basement (Basement is also 100% dry with carpet, so not bad), so the blasting AC makes it about 65F. When it's 95F out and I show up on work conference calls wearing a jacket, it brings some ridicule.

Probably well deserved :) My spouse is constantly worried that I'm going to embarrass her - which isn't unreasonable, but in the summer when I go up the steps and outside or take something outside wearing a sweatshirt and sweatpants, it's a little too much for her. She's of the mind that you dress for the weather outside regardless of what it's like inside, and I can't abide sitting in shorts and tshirt with minimal light at 65F. Coldfinger even in the summer.

Back