What don't you bother making that's wooden ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I had a few jobs that needed doing quite urgently for myself- A plate rack and somewhere to store glasses, breakfast bowls and saucepans. I was dreading trying to find the time, not to mention painting or varnishing what ever I made. A spur of the moment and 100 quid later and all I need to do is screw up all the stainless steel shelving I've just ordered.
For some reason I feel like I've cheated though :| Normally anything I can make from wood I do myself. I added all the things to the shopping basket out of curiosity to see what the total would be and just thought I really can't be pineappled to try and figure out how to do the same thing from wood.
Now I've started buying metal stuff instead of making it from wood it might start a nasty habit :D
Anyone else done similar ?

Coley

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Random Orbital Bob":2a36lpwo said:
I bought a Harley Davidson.....

:D ever watch son's of anarchy ?

I tend to go the other, even if it costs me more in time/ materials :oops:

For instance, i needed a new set of trestles for work and could have got a pair of plastic ones for £20. But i made my own version of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqhJh2wSgMusing ply and stainless steel fittings and then varnished them.

I thought i'm not buying the plans so just copied the idea. :mrgreen:

carlb40":2caigdft said:
I tend to go the other, even if it costs me more in time/ materials :oops:

For instance, i needed a new set of trestles for work and could have got a pair of plastic ones for £20. But i made my own version of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqhJh2wSgMusing ply and stainless steel fittings and then varnished them.

I thought i'm not buying the plans so just copied the idea. :mrgreen:

Good idea, but you'd need more room in the van for attachments than actual tools! :lol:

Mr T":2928xqj4 said:
I shamefacedly admit that we are buying a new kitchen. I don't have time to make one!

Chris
I've got the same predicament at my dads house. Needs a new kitchen but wouldn't appreciate the extra time and effort it takes to make a custom fit one. Glad its not just me ;)
At the boot sale on Sunday I saw this converted oil can/ lamp. I really liked it so then went on ebay to try and find the same can and fittings etc to make one. I must have got 10 miles away, turned around and bought it. Yesterday I spent all afternoon playing with my goddaughter and generally messing around doing relaxing Sunday stuff, instead of trawling the internet trying to copy something I'd seen. I must be getting old or something :roll:

Dovetails by hand......

for a hobby...cut dovetails by hand....
to make some money and reduce time.....
use a jig.....but a good jig...

I can hear the purists blasting me now!!! :roll:

bugbear":1voibpq8 said:
Wooden spoons cost 50p to a quid. I ain't making one!

BugBear
Hmmmm see now again i made my own - well 2 oak spatulas about 3/4 years ago or more and they are both going strong still. :)

A flat-pack pub-style garden table bench thingy. Picked it up for £40 at Argos. Only expected it to be flimsy junk, but only needed it for a couple of months while SWMBO decided what we needed.

Amazingly it was pretty good and properly sturdy. Still using it. I couldn't have bought the wood for that price.

Stu_2":4zk15q0k said:
A flat-pack pub-style garden table bench thingy. Picked it up for £40 at Argos. Only expected it to be flimsy junk, but only needed it for a couple of months while SWMBO decided what we needed.

Amazingly it was pretty good and properly sturdy. Still using it. I couldn't have bought the wood for that price.

IMHO it's only worth making what you can't buy - as you say, the factories can make stuff (and make it well) cheaper than you can buy wood. The main benefit of hand made is that bespoke comes for free, as part of the deal.

Of course, if you simply enjoy the process, the costs don't matter so much.

BugBear

Hi

The things I make are generally bespoke items I can't buy - sometimes off the shelf things I can't afford to buy / can make for less.

Usually I enjoy the design, manufacturing process and problem solving challenges of what I make. If I keep the item it gives me pleasure, but even if I don't I will have learned valuable lessons from it's production.

The tat that 'sheds' sell nowadays really annoys me - anyone with any experience can see it's designed to last just long enough to ge it home, thus ensuring repeat sales or it's heavily overpriced ticket is justified with euphemisms such as 'solid (insert wood of choice here)', (read lots of small offcuts glued together and machined into surfaces) :evil:

Regards Mick

I made a bed a while ago. Chunky sides designed to use some suitable wood I salvaged. But for the slats, I went to IKEA and bought them. They are strong plywood with just the right amount of curve to them, smoothly finished and taped together. I think they were under £10. Just not worth spending more on materials to get something not as good.

Back