What does green tea taste like?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't find it bitter. I buy the green tea with lemon tea bags but you can also get them flavoured with honey. It is supposed to help clean your blood.

I find it good if I take a flask of tea when I go out for the day walking because you don't need milk.

One side effect is your eyes see everything oriental after imbibing. :lol:

Regards Keith

Thanks Keith.

I am an Earl Grey man, and I don't take milk in my tea, so np!
In fact only rarely do I drink milk at all. If I do quaff a pint of the stuff, I know all about it the next day. Strange really, as I do quite like the taste.

I like a refreshing drink that laves me not feeling bloated. As I can't drink beer any more, then Green Tea sounds like it's the ticket.

As long as I don't start pulling my planes towards me ALL the time, I'll be fine! (Yes I have a Japanese saw!)

I'll get some Green Tea tomorrow!

Schluuurp... Cheers

John

As green tea is normally drunk, without milk or sugar, there are very subtle differences in the various brands and sources.

Whatever you do if you want to get the maximum subtleness from the different varieties do not make it too strong and never use boiling water, 80C is ideal else you risk killing/driving off all the volatiles.

I drink it all the time, flavours much more subtle than black fermented tea.

Straight off the bushes and hand rolled in the flower bud oil from a high end plantation it tastes like privet smells, at least the variety we picked and tried in China did, far to pungent for me.

I have never found an unadulterated dried leaf green tea sold in Europe that I did not like, some of the blends with lemon and jasmine are quite refreshing, I do find some supermarket trailed blends containing all manner of fancy flavours a move too far though.

If you want to taste a reasonable variety visit a Wagamama restaurant and ask for Green Tea, (free and bottomless cups)

A friend in the village brings me some back from Japan that has yet another difference in flavour, all very acceptable.

i can't add much, other than to say that i much prefer the loose green tea, and other than jasmine flowers, I do not like it with any other flavours in it. The leaves sink, you just drink it with them in, leaving that last half inch. I get a second mug from the leaves. As chas says, don't make it too strong- I use a teaspoon in a normal mug, drank as soon as it is about the right temp, and then topped up.

years ago i first tried green at a chinese restaraunt and being at that time a little gauche, I put 1 sugar in as normal. Made it taste like bubalicous

marcros":3kpy6q8e said:
.. I get a second mug from the leaves. As chas says, don't make it too strong- I use a teaspoon in a normal mug, drank as soon as it is about the right temp, and then topped up.

That's how I treat the Japanese loose tea, made in a pot and refilled a couple of times.

The Chinese tend to drink it cold, or at best tepid, workers make a flask each day and just keep adding heated water to the whole leaves during the day.

West African Ataaya is well worth a go. 90% sugar, served in shot glasses and brewed in 3 draws each slightly different in taste (and power!). I am a coffee man but this stuff was great.

Thanks folks.

I saw an article on TV some months ago, about a Cornish Tea 'plantation'. I picked up the tip there regarding NOT making the brew with boiling water. Bring the water to the boil and then let it settle and stand for a minute or so. Then wet the tea. The guy claimed it didn't scald the flavour out of the tea. I tried it, and was converted; using Twinings tea, which I find is the one for me.

I suppose I shall have to experiment a little with Green Tea, so I am going to start tomorrow.

Thanks again for the information.
Appreciated.

Droogs Bubalicous? Would that be sort of 'Uberlicious'? :)

John

Nelsun":1fa662nf said:
West African Ataaya is well worth a go. 90% sugar, served in shot glasses and brewed in 3 draws each slightly different in taste (and power!). I am a coffee man but this stuff was great.
Just can't stand the sugar, like my teas to be pallet cleaning.

Quite like some of the minted versions available in Morocco, funny how they taste different when served via a typical Moroccan teapot and in a glass.
But I suppose the same can be said about Turkish teas served in glass, although I prefer not to have them so heavily sweetened as some of the locals prefer.

Don't get me going on Turkish beverages. Their way of brewing coffee is the tops! First tried it in Marmaris, in the 60s. (There was nothing at Marmaris then, so we had a 'beach-banyan' (Barby), and a mini 'sports day' versus the Turkish Navy. We lost the wrestling!) Them was the days.

To return to tea...

I don't take sugar at all. (I am supposed to be Type 2!) I take a sweetener in ordinary tea, but I prefer my Earl Grey as it comes, medium strong. )

:D

Benchwayze":2tpl7wts said:
I prefer my Earl Grey as it comes, medium strong. )

Try your Green weaker to start with.

Teas can become as addictive as any other beverage once you get used to 'tasting' them rather than swamping them in additives.
DSCN5039.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5039.JPG
    DSCN5039.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 986
I use Twinings green tea too, but add fresh root ginger, a cube about half an inch, peeled and crushed with the flat of a knife and just dropped in. Leave it in, clears your head. Lovely.

Standing a kettle is a great trick, one that I use for Coffee as well. It does seem to scald the fresh coffee grounds less. I will now start trying that technique on my green tea.

I also quite like Peppermint tea, its quite stomach soothing. Especially helpful after than an eyes larger than stomach situation!

I had to give up Caffeine last year and was recommended Peppermint and Camomile.

Camomile is a bit of an acquired taste but I really enjoy the peppermint which is good for the digestion too.
I've also started brewing my own teas from Lemon Verbena, Chocolate Mint and Apple Mint.
Just pour hot water on the leaves and let them infuse - very refreshing.

Rod

I surfed for info on Green tea, and apparently it isn't advised for people who are taking Warfarin.
One advisor said that if you are on certain other drugs too, you should consult your Doctor, before drinking green tea.

I dunno now!

Call the Doc I reckon. :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back