What do you wear on your feet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you usually wear on your feet in your workshop at home?

• safety shoes / boots / trainers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ordinary shoes / boots / trainers

• clogs

• flip flops / sandles / stiletoes or something else inapropriate

• none of the above

• Total voters
mailee
Furniture Maker

Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:05 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MAILEE WROTE
I always wear safety shoes at work but hate them as they are so uncomfortable. I take them off as soon as I can and get into my trainers in the workshop. My safety shoes are also trainers but terrible for your feet. Nice pair of comfortable trainers for me in the workshop and I am just careful.

mailee
how can a pair of shoes or boots that you wear all day be so uncomfortable ?????
this is always the excuse for the younger generation when i enquire where there boots are at work
my boots are too tight , my boots are uncomfortable!!!
tough get um on and break um in , is my reply
the problem is that the boots or shoes that you wear are of poor quality
probably provided by the company that you work for
not many companys provide quality footwear
speaking for myself
i spend £50 once a year on a good quality pair of boots out of my own pocket , and i can tell you they are like a pair of carpet slippers from day one , no sore heels , no trapped toes,
the leather is soft and the ankle cuff comfortable
plus because you buy them yourself you will actually polish them once in a while :D
so what are these boot i hear you cry :cry:
MAGNUM HI-TEC they are worn by the police and other security forces
and also come in steelies
they weigh next to nothing , so when your on your feet for a super long shift your boots wont give you any trouble
it pays dividends and cost less than a night out
regards
mel
ps still havnt got the hang of that "quote thing"

Ha ha, Keep trying with the quote thing Mel. I think you are correct with your comments on the 'boots' they are provided by the company I work for and probably are cheap ones too knowing them. I have the trainer type as the last pair they provided were of the 'boot' variety and after a couple of hours use they were killing me! The trainer type I now wear ore a little better but still kill my feet after six hours. I will look into a pair of those you refer too and maybe try a pair of them instead, anything rather than these heavy cumbersome things I wear during my shift. Thanks for the info mate. :wink:

Hi Mel :D
you gotta keep the square brackets round the section you want to quote

Used to make me laugh when I did the college joinerie course, all the kids thought safety boots was dumb, even for a 20 minute coffee break theyd change back into the fairy slippers (trainers) to show them off while they had a fag or whatever :roll: , and see to there hair gel :roll:
One bloke I worked for was very strict on boots from time to time would "test" your toe caps with a 4x2 :shock:
Of course your right Mel, you get what you (or more usuyally your employer) pay for as far as boots are concerned, the usual ones make you sweat too much, cheapest minimum materials to get the ce mark. In the old days a decnt pair of boots was part of the wage as they were essential.

I once heard of a bloke had an accident while he was servicing a printing press with a flat platten. He had temporily removed the stop blocks that prevent it rolling out, of course he forgot that, turned it, the platten rolled out, dropped over the edge and cut off all 10 toes and his boot ends as well :sick: :sick:, I doubt steelies would have helped :lol: :lol:

Steel toe caps didn't save me!!!!

I jumped off an old army type hut into a patch of nettles wearing steel toe caps.

What I didn't see was an old iron bedstead rusting amongst the nettles, it had pointed hooks on each corner much like an arrow head, well it was my luck to land directly on one of these pointed brackets. It went right through the boot sole and into the centre of my foot, buried itself about two inches, I couldn't pull the boot off the bedstead and I couldn't get my foot out of the boot, it was much like being dowelled inside the boot :lol: It took three other people to release me and the boot, I reckon I lost about a pint of blood that day and about eight pints of sweat. :shock:

I've never worn safety boots and 'spose I should do really. When I had a summer job back in the 70's I worked at a factory in Woking and was wearing a pair of the old suede 'brothel creepers,' the really comfy desert boots that M&S used to sell at the time. They had a sown on crepe sole with about a 6mm welt all the way round...... a fork lift came along one day with a huge load of gear on a pallet and dropped it onto the welt of the boot :oops: :oops: , didn't touch my foot, but completely pinned the boot to the floor, took a few deep breaths that day :shock: :shock: - Rob

I have steel toe caps that I wear some times but I should and will be wearing them more :roll: :)

I boots I have now where from Aldi's and cost under £15, there are a bit heavy but there are comfy and I can where them all day with my feet hurting :) .

I have seen the same boots in some shops for twice the price :shock: :roll:

I usually ware external steel boots so used to them few shoes are more comfortable

Was wearing a pair of external steel toe caps one afternoon when I decided I wanted a Pint as I approached the pub the doorman (there was a rugby match on) looked at my boots and I think he was about to refuse me entrance when I said that I had to wear them as when I did not I fell over backwards He laughed and let me in

Safety shoes and safety glasses every time

(ear defenders when required)

Work in engineering seen too many accidents :shock: :shock:

Andy

Lord Nibbo":3cfqcsd6 said:
Steel toe caps didn't save me!!!!

I jumped off an old army type hut into a patch of nettles wearing steel toe caps.

What I didn't see was an old iron bedstead rusting amongst the nettles, it had pointed hooks on each corner much like an arrow head, well it was my luck to land directly on one of these pointed brackets. It went right through the boot sole and into the centre of my foot, buried itself about two inches, I couldn't pull the boot off the bedstead and I couldn't get my foot out of the boot, it was much like being dowelled inside the boot :lol: It took three other people to release me and the boot, I reckon I lost about a pint of blood that day and about eight pints of sweat. :shock:

OOh nasty experience :shock:
Reminded me of the time when me and a mate were worse for wear after supping ale one night, we thought lets go a hurdling over the railings at the end of the garden; so we take a run and leap; I (luckily) get over ok, but my mate spiked his boot on the railing, he just sort of cart wheeled round in an arc and hit the ground, we were both laughing our heads off :roll:

:D how about slippers.

As my workshop is in my living room, I am not bothering with my steels, and as I am making shavings in the living room ,its pointless :D
shavings.jpg

Galootting is bloody hard work with oak, oh are my arms aching :shock: :? :(

I've always worn steely boots as a matter of course.

I have a discount shoe shop near me called 'Wynsors' - I found a pair of unbranded leather steely boots there that fitted my wide feet so comfortably I went back and bought 4 more for stock. They were £20 a pair.

A year later I'm still on the first pair! :D

Flip-flops are a BAD idea ..... because dropping a Bessey K120 on your big toe really HURTS!!!! :oops:

Scott":3l21s9qx said:
Flip-flops are a BAD idea ..... because dropping a Bessey K120 on your big toe really HURTS!!!! :oops:

would that be the voice of experience talking by any chance? :wink:

I caught my blackened big two nail this evening - the one that started this post , and it flicked off - thankfully without any bleeding. Perhaps it helped that it had been immersed in water for a good part of the day as we spent most of the day sailing on lake Togo. 8) Ironicly, I caught my nail clambering around the end of a stack of wood still wearing the same sandles as I was when the accident happend! Some people just never learn! #-o #-o
Bon soirée,

Steve

promhandicam":mjlhlnas said:
would that be the voice of experience talking by any chance? :wink:

ahem ... it might .... :roll:

dedee":1zteg9mj said:
mr spanton":1zteg9mj said:
I once saw a young lass get stabbed in the foot when a scalpel fell off a bench and landed in her toe just like a dart it went straight through her trainers.

I've got the tee shirt for that one.
Andy

Imagine the same thing, but the knife falls from the top of some scaffolding, and instead of the foot, its a head without a safety helmet. Urrgh. Yep, straight in like a dart. Not me, but a lad I was at school with. They whisked him off to A+E, and he always wears a safety hat these days.

Adam

mr spanton":kkftd0x9 said:
OOh nasty experience :shock:
Reminded me of the time when me and a mate were worse for wear after supping ale one night, we thought lets go a hurdling over the railings at the end of the garden; so we take a run and leap; I (luckily) get over ok, but my mate spiked his boot on the railing, he just sort of cart wheeled round in an arc and hit the ground, we were both laughing our heads off :roll:

I did something very similar a few years ago, drunkenly hurdling a low fence; one leg made it over, but the trailing foot got caught atop the fence, so my 6'2" sixteen stone frame went over and the errant leg tried to stay put! There was pain of quite impressive proportions (even through the haze of booze) and a horrific grisly squelching noise from the knee as it twisted. It hurt like twittery for about a fortnight and I had quite a pronounced limp for about a month!

As for safety footware; when I worked at the Ford plant in Swansea, myself and all the other newbies were ordered to go to the stores and pickup a pair of steel toe boots each. I was working with another of the newbies later that day, when the young lady concerned dropped a 6 inch steel rule (you know, the really thin ones that weigh about as much as a postage stamp) on her foot. She proceded to jump with glee, exceitedly announcing that her safety boots 'worked' and her foot was completely unharmed! :lol:

V.

I have to admit that I frequently change into ordinary trainers/trainer boots when installing furniture or kitchens, etc on site. Lack of safety? Well yes, but on the other hand the amount of crawling and kneeling you end up doing in the average installation can become extremely painful after only a few hoursand steel toecapped boots mean that you';; almost certainly end up marking or damaging something in a client's house.....

I'll now slink away before "Mr Safety Manager" (aka Mel) catches up with me..... :wink:

Scrit

Scrit, I agree big boots always seem to damage the kitchen your installing. I know why the granite people have to wear safety boots I just don't understand why they have to kick the furniture every time they bring in a piece of granite :lol:

Hi

I used to wear safety boots when was working in agricultural engineering but now I have started doing blacksmithing, safety boots are the least of my worries! Blacksmithing has got to be the most unsafe practice and also my dogs seem to take pride in destroying boots but not trainers! I prefer my trainers!

My friend wears wooden cloggs alot of the time but he has recently worn a hole in the bottom, so he is going to make them either platform clogs (with hardwood) or we are going to shoe him like a horse (although we are artist blacksmiths and not farriers I recon we should get away with this shoeing!)

Cheers

Dave

It has got to worth wearing heavy safety boots all day long if only for that wonderful moment when you get home, sit in your comfiest chair, and just before you have that first mouthful of beer...

...YOU TAKE THEM OFF!

ahhhhh - bliss!!

Latest posts

Back