Good work boots?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyolith

Established Member
Reaction score
Now I am spending more time in various workshops and a bit on of time on the railway, I am looking for some work boots. I have been wearing good quality walking boots, that are getting wrecked by the more intensive use that they are not really suited for. I would also not mind something with something underneath to protect from stand on nails and the like, however I don't think I need steel toe caps (unless they can withstand a 60 ton locomotive driving over them ;) ).

My main concern in comfort as I will be standing in them for as long as 12 hours straight, I am willing to pay a fair bit for this. My feet are quite wide so often struggle to find size 10s with the width (getting the next size up is just too long).

Any advice appreciated :)

Work boots are very good value, in my experience, better than walking boots. You can get them with a protective midsole to protect from nails. As for comfort, maybe I've been lucky, but I've had steel capped safety boots that I could wear for 16 hours at a stretch, comfortably. (I was younger then.)
But people's feet all vary so I think the real answer is to try some on and see what suits your feet. My current pair are just cheap ones from Toolstation and they are fine for me.

One good thing about safety boots is that they are zero rated for VAT, so do go for the ones with toecaps.

i have some dewalt apprentice ones that i find really comfortable. They are currently £65 at screwfix, but i am sure that i paid about £35 at cstco. Maybe shop around for a better price, but good boots all the same.

marcros":u811vqvb said:
i have some dewalt apprentice ones that i find really comfortable. They are currently £65 at screwfix, but i am sure that i paid about £35 at cstco. Maybe shop around for a better price, but good boots all the same.
+1 Really comfortable and a lot lighter than walking boots.
Sold at Screwfix, Toolstation, Axminster etc. I'd try a pair on for size and then shop around as Mark says.

I got Dickies Safety Trainers from Machine Mart, and added a foam insole. They are very comfortable and I make a point of wearing them whenever in workshop or when gardening. Don't be misled by the word 'trainer' - they still have steel toecaps and insoles. They are also lighter than full boots and easier to put on and off. If you don't need the ankle or deeper water protection they are very good, and cheaper than boots, at £35-£40.

Altberg combat boots with a Birkenstock insole - loads of support. At work I started using Birkenstocks a few years ago and it really makes a difference.

i currently wear a pair from Aldi and to me they are as good as some of the higher priced ones. Lidls had some on offer last wek for £17 a pair (nice tan leather and very comfortable looking) they also had safety trainers for the same price

I'm guessing the railway is a vintage line. Hobbyists/Historical? (without being disparaging in the least, sorry I don't know the proper term). You wont get near a commercial environment without steels. There's a good reason for that. So many good steel boots around these days that tbh, there's no need not to wear them. The lightest boots I ever had, waterproof, very comfy, but not the longest lasting and a bit pricey were these http://www.derbyshire-refrigeration.co. ... uct_id=458 (random search no idea if the seller is any good). Under normal circumstances they should last a good while. In my job (abseiler) I break a lot of shoes because shoes are not designed for my work. I might be holding onto stone ledges with my heels or the uppers, they are just not designed that way. I go through a pair of boots every 4/8 months, in the old days (pre site checks and HSE) I could kill a pair of trainers in about 3 weeks. I'm currently killing a pair of Site Screwfix waterproof boots. Been going strong 6 months but i was pouring them out today. Bit wet. :D The Dewalt boots always get good reviews but they don't fit my feet. Like adidas 3 stripe they are made for those without duck feet. Try them on is the best bet mate.

I also have wide feet so I share your pain. I wear these for work http://www.screwfix.com/p/site-mudguard-dealer-safety-boots-brown-size-11/1205d Im on my feet for 10 hours a day and I have no problems with them, in fact they are my footwear of choice for just about everything. Really comfortable, needed no breaking in, reasonably priced and readily available what more could you want? And they have a steel midsole to protect from nails and such.

Matt

Those Scruffs are touted as having an 'aluminium steel toe'.... how's that work then? :lol:

I work in sheet metal fabrication and I have a pair of boots by Cofra. Last two pairs have been from them and I find them very comfy and offer great protection in the workshop as well as on site (pretty watertight too).
Pricey but I tend to be happy putting a bit more money out for a higher ankle supporting boot.

I'm in mine all day and there buckler boots they are like gloves on my feet dewalt will last around 3 months, buckler last me 12 months,
Paul

I have wide feet and have driven shoe shop assistants to tears when I ask for a pair of lace up or slip on shoes in brown or black and having tried nearly every shoe in the shop cannot find one to fit.

When it comes to safety boots I have done the same. Having on tried a very wide variety of safety boots in various shops I have found very few that are comfortable and fewer that are comfortable and that look reasonable after a few weeks. I have settled on Dr Martins safety boots and have worn them for long periods (over 14 hours) and walked long distances with them on and have found them very comfortable.

I would recommend finding a good shop with a variety of makes and sizes and try them all on to find the one that fits you.

Is there any specific brand of boots anyone can recommend? because at the moment all i have is sandals and flip flops and that is definitely not a good look and a hazard.

I like the dealer boots from Screwfix, the waterproof ons with the rubber front over the toes which is saving them from wearing out.....it's where they get the most abuse from me! I like them as they also offer protection around my ankles and are very easy to slip on and off with no laces coming undone to trip over. I've replaced the standard innersols with some Scholl Gell for extra comfort.

+1 for DeWalt boots. My favourites are Challengers. I'm on my 3rd pair now. The only downside I have had with them is the laces that they are provided with. They are the tubular type with the separate inner to outer and I always wear the outer part of the lace away on the metal eyelets.

Chris

Back