What do I have here?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know? All replies will be gratefully received, including humorous ones concerning the shoe repairing trade :)

Attachments

• 20180310_095728C.jpg
    20180310_095728C.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 688
It's a cobbler's glazing tool. You heat it up and use it to melt wax into seams to stop them leaking.
Surprisingly common in mixed lots of old tools.

Thanks Andy. So I was on the right track about shoe repairing. I don't expect to be doing much of that but I may give it a nicer handle.

I think they are also used when putting nails into shoes, to rivet the nail on the inside before adding the insole.

It's a sole cleaner.
Whenever you accidentally step in chewing gum and can't clear it from a quick rub on the kerb, you take your shoes to Timpsons and they use one of these to pry the blob off the sole... Also works to remove tacks and staples that you forgot to sweep up off the workshop floor.

Larger versions were also available, with heavy iron fins on the back end, to make them more aerodynamic when thrown at cobbling apprentices... although I believe that practice has fallen out of favour, nowadays, so any such versions you find on Ebay will be well worth snapping up!!

Back