What connection for Propane Torch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyboy1

Reaction score
Could someone kindly help as to what connections I need to connect my propane torch to my propane bottle?Ihave sent a few images of connections on my gas bottle and on the the torch ,all help appreciated,
E79B72CB-CD79-4A59-8C62-59C4223FAB07.jpeg

Attachments

• C39A8246-DCF7-4FBA-9465-DFDE07459D27.jpeg
    C39A8246-DCF7-4FBA-9465-DFDE07459D27.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 5CB9DE31-9C1B-4F8F-9833-C1AC386B2AA4.jpeg
    5CB9DE31-9C1B-4F8F-9833-C1AC386B2AA4.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 14
Holy cow man, if you don’t know you need a regulator in there, you just avoided something spectacular!

aidan

Holy cow man, if you don’t know you need a regulator in there, you just avoided something spectacular!

aidan
While I quite agree that a regulator is is a good idea, you don't actually need one. You aren't guaranteed an monumental 💥 if you don't use one, but in the unlikely event of a problem, the regulator is supposed to stop any flame getting back to the bottle, and it does stop all the gas leaving the bottle all in one go, should you have a leak.. I have a big cast - iron burner that doesn't have a regulator, and while I only use it outside, and I don't use it very often, I am still alive. So far.

I expect there are any number of laws and regulations in the UK making this an outlaw practice, because you can never be too safe. I wouldn't recommend it, but outside the UK it is not unheard of.

Thanks Kindly,Would 2 Bar be sufficient,I’m a learner regarding gas connections
Have you any instructions with your torch with regard to working pressure? There are a lot of different torches out there & you’ve only shown the hose connection.

Could someone kindly help as to what connections I need to connect my propane torch to my propane bottle?Ihave sent a few images of connections on my gas bottle and on the the torch ,all help appreciated,View attachment 98273
Hi,
Go to an engineering supply company that supplies gas bottles and they will put you right. The small connection is 3/8” left hand thread. The larger one is a standard bottle connection for propane. The gauge does NOT stop flames getting back to the bottle , you need a blowback valve in the hose as it comes off the torch as a minimum.

Hi,
Go to an engineering supply company that supplies gas bottles and they will put you right. The small connection is 3/8” left hand thread. The larger one is a standard bottle connection for propane. The gauge does NOT stop flames getting back to the bottle , you need a blowback valve in the hose as it comes off the torch as a minimum.
Thanks Kindly for your advise,Would you have a image or a link of a blowback valve?

I think what Dave is referring to is a flash back arrestor, these are used when gases are used in conjunction with oxygen such as oxygen & acetylene used for cutting & welding etc. If you intend to use your propane in conjunction with oxygen then it would be wise to fit flash back arrestors, I use oxy-propane for lead burning so have FBA fitted on the hoses.
If you are just using propane on its own there is no requirement for a FBA, if there were camping stoves etc that come with a pre-fiffed hose & regulator would have a flash back arrestor also fitted.

I think what Dave is referring to is a flash back arrestor, these are used when gases are used in conjunction with oxygen such as oxygen & acetylene used for cutting & welding etc. If you intend to use your propane in conjunction with oxygen then it would be wise to fit flash back arrestors, I use oxy-propane for lead burning so have FBA fitted on the hoses.
If you are just using propane on its own there is no requirement for a FBA, if there were camping stoves etc that come with a pre-fiffed hose & regulator would have a flash back arrestor also fitted.
Greatly Appreciated

1. do you need a regulator?
answer : yes, 200bar through a torch orifice isn't going to be fun
2. why do you need a regulator?
answer : see above.
a regulator is not there just to stop back flow (although it does this to some extend as it has an NRV in it, this isn't a flash back arrestor, but it's propane, without oxygen it can't burn so won't flashback to the tank anyway). it does as the name suggests. it regulates the pressure. a bottle is pressurised to between 100 and 200bar, the regulator controls that pressure and flow rate.. the other thing it does, propane liquid pressure is around 8.5bar at ambient, if you open it to ambient it will flash rapidly effectively boiling, which is quite a violent reaction that can lead to other issues, especially within a contained environment. so we use a regulator to stage that reduction in pressure.

Just because you can run without one (assuming the design of the unit is suitable for it) doesn't mean you should and it's pretty daft to do so. equipment that doesn't require a separate reg often has an orifice pressure reducer built in, so it's regulating the pressure anyway.

does your torch have a flow control valve on it? if it does you can use a fixed pressure reg but for the money I'd stick a adjustable one on so you can alter the flow. :)

as you haven't said what torch it is, the pressure can vary from 0.5 bar to around 10 bar, for example a sievert jewellers torch has an adjustable regulator from 0.5bar to 4 bar which is fine for most torches, including the big roofers torches.

like the one below.

https://www.toolstation.com/adjusta...CBjZhI0ZYFvY89o2L4N8jgmKlc53rsU0aAoKHEALw_wcB

Back