Oxyturbo kits / lead welding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im going to pick up an oxyturbo kit, but i cant decide which one. Basically theres a kit for 135 quid, the oxyturbo 90, or for 220 quid, the oxyturbo 200.
From what i can gather, the main difference is the more expensive one has guages on the bottles and possibly different sized nozzles, although both appear to come with 4 or 5 nozzles.

Does anyone have experience with them? Is the 200 worth the extra cost?

At the mo, i just want to have a go at lead welding. Ive got a bullfinch torch with a couple of nozzles and propane tank for general torch applications ( wood burning and had a go at brazing aluminium ) but i believe the oxy / map gas is supposed to be best for lead?

I learnt on a saffire oxy/acetylene outfit. It's been a while, nearly 18 years, since I used it, but the flame needs to be controlled extremely well to get a good result. I spent a fair bit on my stuff and didn't regret the outlay as it worked properly, so buy the best you can afford.

I did a weeks course at the building crafts college in London which was invaluable. It was run by the Lead Sheet Association

https://leadsheet.co.uk/service/rolled-lead-sheet-the-complete-manual/

I spent a fair bit on my stuff and didn't regret the outlay as it worked properly, so buy the best you can afford.
Yep, good advice. I dont do much leadwork and if i need welding i usually get a roofer i know to do it ( window trays etc ) but I want to learn and not be reliant on others. It'll probably pay for itself after a few jobs 👍

These kits are apparently extremely good for leadwork. A combination of torch / nozzle size and being able to reduce the flame down to a ball of about 3mm. Most roofers use these around here now. Probably easier / cheaper to get than the oxy acetylene roofers used to use?

A quick google for propane lead welder ( as i have propane kit )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220918-001643_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20220918-001643_Firefox.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 0
I tried propane and all I did was burn a hole in it and I couldn't control the flame at all.

You'll probably find that all of the serious, qualified lead welders use oxy/acetylene.

I have had one of these for a few years, since I got fed up with BOC and their ridiculous standing charges. Mine has the gauges, and I would recommend that type as it gives you more control. Not sure the make of mine, will have a look later although oxyturbo does sound familiar. Overall a good bit of kit but the bottles don't last that long, especially oxygen. You'll get about 25min, maybe half an hour if you're using a small flame. I use mine for silver soldering mostly. A good trick if you are doing something large is to use a Map torch to get it good and hot, then just use the oxy set to bring it up to full temperature. Not really applicable to lead though.

A quick google for propane lead welder ( as I have propane kit )

I would not read too much into that. The snippet of an answer you posted is very misleading because it is computer-generated. Your question is about welding LEAD with propane. The answer is about fusion welding STEEL with propane or propylene. I think it an automatically-generated one from a Google search, so reading the original answer in its proper context (Can I weld with a Propane Torch? Discover the Answer!) will give you a more rounded perspective. It does not cover lead at all.

I am not suggesting you can weld lead with propane, merely that what you found above is irrelevant to answering that question. Given that all the pros use acetylene or MAPP gas, I would follow the crowd.

The Model O torch (BOC) is the one used for lead work, but then you need flashback arrestors, regulator’s etc, which gets a bit expensive.
The Bullfinch and Sievert propane torches are ok with a fine flame and lots of practice…get some tallow for flux…
The Model O torch gives a very controllable small flame…it’s the one you will find if you go on a lead welding course. Perfect for intricate work..
picture of one below…

Last edited:
The snippet of an answer you posted is very misleading because it is computer-generated. Your question is about welding LEAD with propane. The answer is about fusion welding STEEL with propane or propylene
🤦‍♂️ i didnt notice that 😔 it was getting late, thanks

I got a rent free argon cylinder for the TIG from an Adams gas stockist. My impression is that oxygen's quite costly so the bigger cylinder you can cope with the cheaper it is to run. To buy into the scheme with one of those 900mm tall cylinders would be under £200 including the first cylinder full. Then add maybe another £50 for a reg and flashback arrestors. If you can get away with propane or MAPP rather than acetylene (and why not, you're not trying to weld steel !) you might save yourself some grief with the insurance. I've heard insurers don't like acetylene

I got a rent free argon cylinder for the TIG from an Adams gas stockist. My impression is that oxygen's quite costly so the bigger cylinder you can cope with the cheaper it is to run. To buy into the scheme with one of those 900mm tall cylinders would be under £200 including the first cylinder full. Then add maybe another £50 for a reg and flashback arrestors. If you can get away with propane or MAPP rather than acetylene (and why not, you're not trying to weld steel !) you might save yourself some grief with the insurance. I've heard insurers don't like acetylene
I think you need to have some experience of welding some lead and making it watertight before suggesting alternatives to the standard oxy/acetylene set up..

why would you use something so hot to solder something with such a low melting point?
I can see where you are coming from, but there is something not yet mentioned. Oxyacetylene may have a flame temperature of around 3000° but by using a small nozzle you get less heat so it is controllable. With a lot of lead welding not only don't you need flux but also in some cases you can have an autogenous weld, no filler rod. A lot of old lead waste pipes were joined like this, one end belled out and the other inserted and then the edge just melted together.

Hi @baldkev you are definitely better with oxy/acetylene that’s how I was taught 40 years ago & it is the best.
I find it impossible to get acetylene these days so have to use oxy/propane which I use with an old acetylene torc, this is my set up
D85E399E-0716-4798-A405-189575CFC942.jpeg

Those were lead caps for gate posts but the oxy/propane doesn’t give the rib definition that you get with oxy/acetylene, it still gives a good joint buts it’s not the same.

FC4E8496-7CA6-481F-8F45-E89CC32B6FF8.jpeg

just as an aside when I was taught this it was called lead burning not welding

Hi @baldkev you are definitely better with oxy/acetylene that’s how I was taught 40 years ago & it is the best.
I find it impossible to get acetylene these days so have to use oxy/propane which I use with an old acetylene torc, this is my set up
View attachment 143713
Those were lead caps for gate posts but the oxy/propane doesn’t give the rib definition that you get with oxy/acetylene, it still gives a good joint buts it’s not the same.

View attachment 143714
just as an aside when I was taught this it was called lead burning not welding
Acetylene is banned on a lot of sites in the UK since some nugget blew up a bottle of acetylene in a quarry. I have silver soldered a lot of copper Oxygen pipework using oxy propane but it takes a little longer.
Regards,
Dave

Back