Rothenberger Blow-Torch Not Working

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niall Y

Established Member
Reaction score
Not completely inoperable, just the piezo-electric ignition. But here's the problem -when I try the torch out, detached from the gas bottle and minus the burner, I can see a spark. It's a bit of a conundrum - much along the lines of - does the light go off inside the fridge when you close the door. :) I can hardly stick my eye over the nozzle to check everything is working , when it's all connected.

And, for those of you with a logical, methodical frame of mind, The gas is flowing, and it does smell of gas. The only thing I can think of, is that, the spark is not hot enough, and therefore the piezo-electric ignition is at fault. I note that there is a service kit available, for about 30 quid, though no one seems to be listing exactly what the bits and pieces in the kit are. So does anyone out there have experience of this problem, and is replacing the ignition the likely solution?

Have you been soldering pipework in an awkward place or overhead, in these cases it is possible for flux to get into your torch. Have you just tried lighting it and seeing if that clears the flux?

Have you been soldering pipework in an awkward place or overhead, in these cases it is possible for flux to get into your torch. Have you just tried lighting it and seeing if that clears the flux?
Haven't actually used it for plumbing, recently; it's mainly used for heating and tempering metal, and the wife also uses it in the chicken run to blitz the spider-mite. The flame is looking a bit ropey so I'm leaning towards buying the service kit if there is a piezo ignition included,, at least , then I'll have spares for some of the other parts.
Niall

How old is the torch, rather than a service kit with unknown outcome it may be time to just buy a new one, if using mapp gas then they do tend not to last as long.

I had the similar problem some time ago bought the service kit (which has lots of bits in it) cured completely and been working well for the last 2 years…couldn’t see anything wrong with any of the bits i replaced mind
Ian

Quickfire can be had new for under £50 and Superfire for £64. It may be worth blowing through with an air hose as they can get a tad clogged.

The spark has to occur in the burner where plenty of air / oxygen is present in the mix, usually carefully tweaking the wire a bit usually solves this problem. I have used different makes of burner most days over the last 50 years and the later ones with ignition all seem to have a relatively short life span, where as the old chromed brass primus burners lasted us years and mainly suffered from a blocked injector now and then but they often surged out a large flame when turned upside down or on their side.

Last edited:
................... I can hardly stick my eye over the nozzle to check everything is working , when it's all connected.
Can you remove the gas cylinder and then stick your eye over............
Mind you see a weak and feeble spark rather than a fat and generous one and not know what's what. 🥺

Well I'll be ................ It works!
I've just fitted all the bits from the service kit, I bought Cost me £ 28. 38 inclusive of delivery, which was the cheapest I could find. So, not a bad result. Nothing obviously wrong with the parts removed, but something was amiss , as it now works.
Thanks, folks, for your help and observations.
Niall

Latest posts

Back