What Chisels to add

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use narex and think the steel is OK, nothing special though, they just work, handles are horrible, I'd like to make some handles and new better ferrules for them, but it's probably more economical long term to just buy a new set, I have a 3/8" LN socket chisel and like it so much that I want a set of them now, the A2 steel is great on ultra hard woods, definitely makes a noticable difference, surprised that the op would trade a set of LN for narex to be honest.

I didn't trade the LNs for Narex, I'd lost the live for woodworking but still needed a set of half decent chisels for carpentry work around the house as we were refurbing the entire place.

Petey83":1gfue5u5 said:
I didn't trade the LNs for Narex, I'd lost the live for woodworking but still needed a set of half decent chisels for carpentry work around the house as we were refurbing the entire place.

ah ok sorry my mistake, I misread the post.

I've got a set of Blue Marples and a couple of Yellow, which I think are finer. They are good. I have also got a set of Ashley Iles Mk 2 bench chisels which are also good and which I use in preference for fine stuff as I like the thin blades and tactile feel of the wooden handles and they take a good edge (as do the Marples). I kinda like that they are hand-made too - using something hand made to hand make something.
Cheers
Richard

I also bought some of Ashley Iles Mk2 bench chisels ( an indulgance for myself being a rank amateur ). My experience is limited but I find them to be superb and hold their edge really well. The lands are very fine and the backs come slightly hollowed out making them really easy to prepare straight out of the packet.

They're also made in Britain which is something I'm personally keen to support.

WRT to what chisels to add, I am really fond of my MHG skewed dovetail chisels, really helps to get into corners.
Haven't completely mastered sharpening skewed chisels though (freehand), so one of the pair I can sharpen pretty well, the other, not so much :) practice practice practice, I guess

Jarno":3awb1rf9 said:
WRT to what chisels to add, I am really fond of my MHG skewed dovetail chisels, really helps to get into corners.
Haven't completely mastered sharpening skewed chisels though (freehand), so one of the pair I can sharpen pretty well, the other, not so much :) practice practice practice, I guess

The OP is after a chisel, and I quote.... "for general DIY like chopping in door hinges......".

2nd vote for the blue handled Stanley's. I've got a very comprehensive mix of chisels, old and newer and the above are as good as any. (apart from an old 'EA Bell' that is always sharp for some reason)

Do you mean E A Berg (shark brand) - Swedish made and good?

(taken over by Bahco who also acquired Record Marples for a while in the 90s)anyway, between them, made in Sheffield or Eskilstuna .. ie quality.

Noooo, This one belonged to an old uncle who was a carpenter. He died in 1985 at the age of 93. Mr Jupe..... a descendant of the cabinet maker Jupe (french Huguenots) who produced the expanding dining table as seen on (one example of) the antiques roadshow.
In fact I think my Mother has a copy of the working drawings for that table. Next project? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Ooops,sorry
the French king did Britain a great favour kicking out all the Huguenots who came over to London and elsewhere with their many skills

Back