What are your favorite hand tools?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Night Train

Established Member
Reaction score
I always get that extra smile on my face when I pick up certain tools in my workshop because they just feel right. They feel right even when I am not using them for the task for which they were intended.

Mine are my wooden spokeshaves, Stanley 9 1/2 block plane and 4mm radius wooden moulding plane.

What's yours?

The only hand tools I use with any regularity are three (of a set of six) not-that-expensive bevel chisels. I would like to get a good set at some point, though. I also use a small bull-nosed rabbet plane occasionally. And that's about it. Everything else has a battery or a tail! :roll:

Hi

mine are my chisels , a really sharp dovetail saw plus a sharp jack plane, gets the old heart pumping. hc

PS what i really like is when i open the workshop door first thing in the morning its that scented wood smell shavings and sawdust lovely ahh. hc

FogggyTown":17t8f4k0 said:
The only hand tools I use with any regularity are three (of a set of six) not-that-expensive bevel chisels. I would like to get a good set at some point, though. I also use a small bull-nosed rabbet plane occasionally. And that's about it. Everything else has a battery or a tail! :roll:
We could include hand held power tools if it really makes your heart sing. :wink:

For me I think it's got to be the LV LA jack and BU smoother together with the 25m LN chisel...the rest of the LN chisels come very close behind - Rob

Favourite tools that make me smile would have to be my Blue Spruce paring chisels - they just feel so good to use. In my mind favourite is different from most useful, the most useful is probably my LV LAJ.

Cheers, Ed

Mmmmm, Blue Spruce parers, with cocobolo handles.........

I find myself looking for bits of wood to practice on just for the pleasure of using the chisels, weird or what :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

My favourites are my smoothing plane, my chisels and my card scrapers - the scrapers which I have only just recently started using, on my last project, that made the project feel really good after hard work.

Veritas flat bottomed spokeshave, I keep looking for things to put curves on, though I think a recently acquired LN LAJ may be giving it some competition

Ironballs":p5kx7trt said:
Veritas flat bottomed spokeshave, I keep looking for things to put curves on, though I think a recently acquired LN LAJ may be giving it some competition

I know what you mean, I've only recently got a spokeshave and I'm looking at making a piece that I can really use it on! :lol:

ByronBlack":t9uije96 said:
My 4" engineers square and japanese marking knife - helps me have very accurate layout.
Yes, but do they make your heart sing when you pick them up to use.:wink:

I also use engineering tools for measuring and marking but they are just tools.

At the moment I am enjoying using my LA jointer, with the side fence which makes planning square and true easy peasy.

I think from the same family the BU smoother is a cracking plane, so easy to set-up and use.

Tony.

Well for me its a Festool Sander with the dust extractor I do not see dust anymore,I still wonder if it is really sanding at all.Yes it does work that good and my wife loves it too :wink:

Latest posts

Back