What are these living in my shed?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvddvd

Established Member
Reaction score
Having clear out and found these empty shell things with a hole in them as if something hatched on a shelf in my shed

Attachments

• 20231012_193745.jpg
    20231012_193745.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 0
oh! I did hear something a few years ago so baited the shed and then found a giant dead rat...but these could be from something else like you say...mice.
The shelf hasn't been cleaned for 10 years or more.
It's nice to know I have a bit of company when I'm in there on an evening..

I used to have a rodent problem in the garage, since I turned half of it into my makerspace I don't see any signs of them at all.

'This time of year those lil furry critters also like to find a way into your home...And there are some excellent humane (don't kill the furry critters) traps about; and an equally safe to all critter bait. I use both when I get a seasonal visitor (yet to discover how (s)he gets in... Trap one at at time and transport to the local common/woods and let them go free. It's hundred yards from there across a very busy main road to get back our street and assorted homes; so I doun=bt they bother trying.

I think those so-called 'humane traps' are anything but. We had one specifically for mice. It was dead and clearly s**t itself to death. Much prefer a clean break as in a proper mousetrap.

Living in a bungalow we usually get a couple of mice in our attic space this time of year. I usually get rid with the small mousetrap, any vermin within the house is fair game. Never bother with the field mice outside, but having rats is a no-no.

We had a mouse up in our loft so I got a plastic tub, put a nice little supper of currants, apple and meuslli in it. Arranged it in the loft at a slight angle with a wooden ramp up to the rim. Had a look next morning and there was a lovely little field mouse lying on its back, fast asleep.
We put him (her?) out in the field to find his (her?) own breakfast as we don't do B&B.
Brian

Last edited:
Having a cat is a good deterent, mice know cats like to play with them before eating them so keep well away.
Our female cat Nellie used to bring mice in from the garden unharmed at night and drop them at my feet. I was told that, in the absence of kittens, she was trying to teach me how to hunt.

I had a biscuit tin with holes in the lid that we called the 'mouse hotel'. I used to put them in there with a bit of bedding and some food and water, keep them overnight to get over the shock, and release them under a bush at the bottom of the garden. Nellie lived to the ripe old age of 18 so I wouldn't be surprised if some of those mice were multiple offenders.

Needed to use our campervan to jumpstart the car last week, it's an older Renault Master. When I lifted the battery cover there was a field mouse looking back at me, not sure who was more surprised :LOL:

I've removed the nest and added a little cat litter from the tray in the hope mice can recognise the smell and will keep away.

Not sure how border control feel about those sort of stowaways 🤔

Just on this topic we had mice a few years ago, only mice, no rats that I could tell, and I'm not bothered about mice much. One evening I had a late bowl of cereal in liu of a proper meal (I'm lazy sometimes) and put the empty bowl on the floor sort of beside / behind me at my desk, anyway after a while I heard a "tinkle tinkle" , I S L O W L Y turned around to see a mouse, sitting in the spoon on it's hind quarters, eating a leftover cornflake.

It did look very cute and I didn't have the heart to do anything, but it noticed me and ran towards the skirting.

The trap I use is called a mouse hotel - bought from the big river company. They have lots of space for furry visitors to move around whilst waiting to be be released.

possum.....?

I lived in a bunglow on a small holding in S Africa.....coverd with a really beautiful Bougainvillia.....
had to cut it down as it was full of snakes......well a good few.....

I don't mind mice in themselves, it's the damage they cause that bothers me, everytime we go through a box of stuff in the garage we find chewed items, urine stains and poop. We had rats in the walls at one point, that was a big nope. Luckily the schools pest control contract covers the house too so had a bait box added to the garden where we suspected they had got into the walls, a week later no more scurrying and scratching in the walls of an evening, it also helps that my cockerpoo is an expert rat dispatcher 😁

Latest posts

Back