what am i getting myself into??????

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkyinboro

Established Member
Reaction score
i have just bought a lathe its coming tomorrow
i have not used one before
i bought the charnwood w812 36"
is this model any good for a beginer?
i got it for £170 and a set of chisels for £50
hopefully i will be having a go at the weekend

any advice welcome please

thanks
Chris

Hi Chris - yes,it's a good starter lathe (sold in different colours by several different companies) ; the fact you can change speeds without stopping the lathe and changing belts makes the whole turning experience more pleasurable.There are plenty of chucks and accessories available to fit the thread size and morse taper on it,if you slide further down the slope :wink:
Depending on how tall you are,if you have it mounted on the stand supplied rather than on a bench,you may find it a bit low for comfort - the normal recommendation is to have lathe centre height at elbow height,but I find it more comfortable with the lathe centre height 2 or 3 inches higher than that.
Take it that your chisels are HSS ? Sharpening your chisels can be almost as hard to master as turning with them,and they will get dull an awful lot quicker than plane blades.
Get hold of a copy of Keith Rowleys Woodturning book and have a good read of it first (before you pick up a chisel!)

Andrew

Hi Chirs,

Congrats on your purchase - as Andrew has said, it is the same as many with varying paint jobs including the one I have for sale in yellow!

The best tip I can give is to always remember to stop it in low speed as these lathes must be running to change speed and there is nothing more frustrating than getting a new job all set up and realising it was left in top speed so having to remove the job to slow the lathe down.

Also, take the cover off the pulleys and check for any casting burrs on the spring loaded pulleys. These are simple to dress off with a fine file and will make a belt last a lot longer.

I can second the recommendation for Keith's book - a real touchstone for new turners. If you are anywhere near Glos, give me a bell and I will happily spend a couple of hours going through the basics.

BRgds

Simon.

What are you getting yourself into? Put it this way. If Woodturning were a drug it would be class 1 :lol: You will find that you will get frustrated with your lack of time, continually annoy HIO by disappearing into the shed / workshop and be pestered by relatives and friends who will want you to 'just make *****for them.' There will always be an essential tool that you really need, an accessory that you can't do without. Apart from all that you have joined the ranks of the slippery slope brigade....welcome and enjoy as much as we all do.

Pete

P.S Get Keith Rowleys book and discipline yourself to go through it before turning hollow form & square bowls. It's the best way DAMHIK

i have used it for the first time today
WOW!!!!
already hooked
i was using pine 4 x 4
its a bit rough but will practise

I think you have now answered your own question Pinky :lol:
Just make sure the tools are sharp and keep em that way.
Pine is as they say a good wood to practice on.Once you get a good finish off the tool you will know you are doing summat right :D
So keep practicing heed all the safety warnings, be careful,and enjoy.

pinkyinboro":1dm7t36d said:
i have used it for the first time today
WOW!!!!
already hooked
i was using pine 4 x 4
its a bit rough but will practise

ahh yes the slope claims another victim :D

golden rule of wood turning - keep yon fingers (and knuckles) away from the spinny bit

the bit i made was a very knobbly bit of wood
i was just trying some of the chisels and trying to get the angle right
i am very busy at work at the moment so i could only do it for a bit
i will find time tomorrow (i hope)

i already work about 70-75 hours a week
if i am getting in to woodturning i feel a divorce coming on

oh well!!!

ahh Wifes come and go (I hope )

Why don't you show us some pictures of your progress Pinky? and of your Workshop?

wizer":3kqwutk0 said:
ahh Wifes come and go (I hope )

LOL,

Welcome Pinky, Hope to see your work posted here !!

Now rush off to the Library and borrow Keith Rowley's fundamentals !
Loz

Too late my love too late
the late is in me shed
if I were you I would not wait
why dont you go to bed.
WELCOME TO THE SLOPE.

Welcome to the slope Pinky :D

I bought a Pyrography machine and my wife has a real talent for it so I turn 'em she burns 'em :D

If I had to downsize I think the lathe would be the last to go.

Mike C

Latest posts

Back