newbie to woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

workzone24

Reaction score
hi everyone let me say a few things about myself i have just retired a couple of months back now have plenty of time on my hands so want to get back into a bit of woodwork i did have a mess around 30 years ago but never had the time so after selling the last few properties i had i have plenty of time so am going to set out my workshop with some of the better tools any advice would come in handy

hi everyone let me say a few things about myself i have just retired a couple of months back now have plenty of time on my hands so want to get back into a bit of woodwork i did have a mess around 30 years ago but never had the time so after selling the last few properties i had i have plenty of time so am going to set out my workshop with some of the better tools any advice would come in handy
Hi and welcome to ukw. Decide what you plan make and go from there. Will you be hand tools or power tools or a bit of both . Large or small workshop etc . Just enjoy the experience.

Just buy what you need as you need it. Decide what you want to make and, if you need to buy something to make the job easier then go for it.
I started off with a bunch of DIY tools then I fancied trying my hand at turning so I bought a lathe and some tools for that. And so on until you have enough tools for any job.

Well that might be a good thing, it may be too soon yet to decide what sort of a setup you are going for.
You may for instance look at an SCM Minimax combination machine, saw, planer thicknesser and spindle moulder, all for about 5k.
Or perhaps second hand refurbished slightly larger machines. Have a look at a Sedgwick TA315 Tablesaw brill for crosscutting as well.
It may be too soon for you to say what sort/size of work you intend to do, depends as well on the workspace you have of course.
Ian
Ps, if you decide to go for slightly larger refurbished or new.
I can recommend JMJ Woodworking equipment just outside Hull, not that far from you.

Last edited:
Back