What am I doing wrong?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Rob Cosman and he said that he used to do a practice row of dovetails every day. Personally I find if I relax and just get on with it that I get best results. I aim to saw exactly to the line so no clean up is necessary.

DT

Tierney":13os3a4d said:
I saw Rob Cosman and he said that he used to do a practice row of dovetails every day. Personally I find if I relax and just get on with it that I get best results. I aim to saw exactly to the line so no clean up is necessary.

DT
Sounds good to me.

Jacob":2ig1qe45 said:
Tierney":2ig1qe45 said:

DT
Sounds good to me.

What?! You've spent a few posts telling people to overcut, now someone says they "...saw exactly to the line" and you say "Sounds good to me"?

Have you changed your mind? If so why?

BugBear

bugbear":24ey0c1w said:
Jacob":24ey0c1w said:
Tierney":24ey0c1w said:

DT
Sounds good to me.

What?! You've spent a few posts telling people to overcut, now someone says they "...saw exactly to the line" and you say "Sounds good to me"?

Have you changed your mind? If so why?

BugBear
I'll explain AGAIN.
Cutting exactly to the line is the objective but is not easy.
Cutting just short of the line, even a smidgin, makes removing waste more difficult leaves a fiddly little corner to clean up with a chisel.
The solution is to cut over the line, by as little as you can get away with.
On top class work you can hardly tell, on cheap work it's very obvious.
And if you aren't too confident then practicing is a good idea.

So stopping short of the line is difficult but stopping just over the line is easy?

Pete

Racers":c1e7fgc8 said:
So stopping short of the line is difficult but stopping just over the line is easy?

Pete
I don't think you'll get it Pete! But try reading it again.

If i'm having a dung day at work, I can guarantee opening a thread on the Hand Tool forum will bring a smile to my face :)

Cheers

Karl

The trouble is some people TELL you what to do, the good ones suggest something to try.

Pete

Racers":3dy69dyz said:
The trouble is some people TELL you what to do, the good ones suggest something to try.

Pete
:lol: :lol: You don't have to do it if you don't want to!

Watever Jacob 'thinks' used to happen in olden times (he wasn't there so it is all conjecture) fine furniture these days is made with dovetails that have no overcuts at the baseline. The customer would simply not tolerate that, they are paying for nearest perfection and it is their money. Not over cutting is achievable, and we have the fine tools to do it. Developing the skill and taking the pride to do it is not unattainable, so. Keep at it Jacob. Practice practice!

Mike.

woodbrains":2546add9 said:
Watever Jacob 'thinks' used to happen in olden times (he wasn't there so it is all conjecture)
A lot of the furniture is still here for all to see.
The point I'm trying to make is that undercutting and finishing to the line with a chisel is amateurish. Dead on is ideal, if not possible a slight over-cut makes life easier and is probably going to be neater.

Ok got out a loupe 12 magnification and it revealed that teeth were not set at all. They looked like they were just stumped an not sharpened or set. One side was round and the other square. I have stoned the square side on y diamond plate and it improved straight cutting however mow it binds even more. I will try to adapt my saw set that I can use it on so fine teeth and we will see.

For very fine teeth you can set them by putting the tip of a thin bladed screwdriver between teeth and twisting it a few degrees. Someone posted a link a while back to a video of Frank Clausz doing this which might show up in a search.

Back