Japanese Douzuki Gold Saw Slow to Cut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertom44

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Douzuki Gold 240mm saw as someone recommended trying it for dovetails.

Tried cutting dovetails this evening in 19mm poplar and the cut was incredible slow.

Was wondering if this was "normal" for douzuki saws?

Non of my other Japanese saws are this slow, maybe that's what makes them good, less chance of cutting past your line 🤷‍♂️

Is it slow on the long grain rip cuts or on crosscut as well? Does it cut harder wood better ?
I would have thought it should be fine on poplar but a universal set saw is not quite as good as a dedicated rip tooth saw when doing the pins.

It could be "normal" as it does look to have pretty small teeth, Dozuki just means it has a back on it, there are many tooth variations.

Ollie

It's slow on the rip cuts but it cuts quicker on crosscuts, not tried it on any harder woods yet.

The teeth are pretty small which makes sense as to why it's slower cutting now when I compare it to dedicated rip saws.

I think that's where I went wrong, I assumed it was a rip cut but based on performance I'd say it's a crosscut.
Rip teeth are perpendicular to the length of the saw, see below.

Attachments

• 6B786071-831B-4485-B883-8DCBE3BBB49B.png
    6B786071-831B-4485-B883-8DCBE3BBB49B.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back