What about Trend's Routerack ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Right Folks,

I have been using a Trend, Tufnol router table with its fence and the excellent hold-downs, for some time. I just fixed the table to a workbench at first, but to increase versatility, I bought the ‘up-stands’ and router brackets, so I could use the router in an overhead position. Again, due to health problems I never got round to using my Routerack accessories.

So, does anyone have both the Routerack and the Woodrat? If so, does the ‘Rat’ make the Routerack ‘obsolete’, or do you still use the Routerack for some jobs?

I have never been afraid of experimenting with and adapting machinery. So, I am thinking of using an overhead router for working non-ferrous metal. Elu suggest suitable speeds for this in the manuals, using metal cutting bits of course.

This began as a desire for custom, aluminium base-plates for a hand-held router. Then the other night, I had the idea that a rack and pinion, or maybe a worm drive, on the Woodrat, would be better than the Bowden cable. (On the video I have, Martin Godfrey calls it a Bawden Cable. Maybe they are two different things?)

Such a rig, might allow the router and base-plate to move laterally, which would make grooving and moulding a safer operation, at least in small lengths.

I guess it would require a much longer aluminium extrusion though, so I suppose Martin Godfrey, has already been there. Still, I am looking forward to the challenge.

Has anyone had any experience in metalworking with routers before I start?

If I have any luck, I will be posting my results in any case!

Happy Wooding

John :wink:

Hi John

Slightly off topic. :lol:

If you need a lighweight overhead routing facility and you have a Trend T3 or, iirc, the small Bosch you can remove the body and fit it into the Faithfull heavy duty drill stand. It cost about 33 inc. vat.

I also have a very heavy XY vice from Toolmart which cost, iirc, about 20.

HTH.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for that.
Standard 43mm collar I assume (I think it was 43mm!)

Thanks again and I will try it with my Bosch.

John \:D/

Latest posts

Back