What a rip off

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPSlick

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got a renewal quote for my house and contents insurance of £438. Went on moneysupermarket and got a quote from the same company for the same cover of £108 which of course I took.

Hmmm. Lucky you! =D>
Something very strange about that. It equates to 75% discount off the renewal quote which is unheard of. How do the figures compare with last years' premium?

Which insurance company out of interest?

Bob

Make sure you're actually comparing 'like for like' many of the comparisons sites don't pass on all the information or fail to gather other details that effect premiums.
You may find the cheaper cover might not cover accidental breakage or have huge excesses.

I spoke to a lovely Romanian girl at Churchill who confirmed the policies were identical. Last years policy was somewhere in the 300s.

If my quote was for £438 i would have a huge smile on my face.
After i complained they they lowered mine down to £800.
Note to self, never buy a thatched property again.
And its only half thatch.

SPSlick":i210v560 said:
I spoke to a lovely Romanian girl at Churchill who confirmed the policies were identical. Last years policy was somewhere in the 300s.

Even more curious then as in general premiums very definitely have not come down by 2/3 rds since last year. Either something very wrong with your new policy or last years, (did you have any claims in the last 12 months?). I'm sure you'll be checking all the small print anyway in due course.

Churchill are the broker not the insurance company, so who are they?

PS:

Apparently average cost in Newcastle has dropped over the last year by just under 10%

Insurance companies are already loading everyone's premiums to cover the recent flooding and getting ready for the year ahead as it has been confirmed this year is an El Niño year.

I had the same revelation several years ago after sticking with Direct Line for both car and house insurance and having the premiums increase year on year.
Buildings and contents became 75 percent cheaper. Usually decline to renew and have on occasion still gotten cheaper insurance by taking a new policy with the same company how that works I don't know. There are only a few insurance companies using a multitude of names nowadays its a bit of a game really they want as much of your hardearned as they can get your job is to say no.

sawdust1":3djzpgbc said:
If my quote was for £438 i would have a huge smile on my face.
After i complained they they lowered mine down to £800.
Note to self, never buy a thatched property again.
And its only half thatch.

Yup - same applies to listed buildings, I would never buy one of those again either! First property I have ever lived in where the rebuild cost is more than the market valuation :shock:

Steve

I think this is similar to car insurance. There seems to be no loyalty to existing customers, only discounts to attract new business. These companies don't seem to understand that their newly acquired customers will be newly acquired by other rival companies after one year.

K

graduate_owner":8i6m6ytn said:
These companies don't seem to understand that their newly acquired customers will be newly acquired by other rival companies after one year.

Only the savvy ones. The whole reason they raise the renewal price dramatically is because a lot of people either can't be bothered to shop around, or leave it 'til the last minute and figure that renewing is the safe option that doesn't leave them uninsured.

I should also mention that the letter was dated 12-12-15 but arrived 6-1-16 and the automatic renewal was 8-1-16.

Back