Western Red Cedar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anybody had a price recently on sawn western red cedar- I am planning a project and just want an estimate for 1/2 a cubic metre or so.

cheers
Mark

Western Red a large qty soon to be felled all good sized trees, extraction is awkward but possible, could be milled on site.
PM if interested.

ondablade":1fy3n8fe said:
Did I read that it's quite allergenic/toxic?

Ondablade...

I wear a mask when I am milling and converting cedar as the dust aggravates my nose and throat.

Once the handwork starts I don't have a problem.

Having said that, I don't have any extraction in my shop, as I don't have room for the 'gubbins'. So with good extraction you might not have a problem. Can't be sure though.

Regards... John :)

I recently called around quite a few sawmills for WRC. The price seemed to be around £350 per cubic meter, collected, for fresh sawn WRC. One of the problems I experienced was the planks I was after were relatively wide, i.e. > 200mm and not many sawmills seem to be able to source this size in the UK. So most of the wider stuff is imported.

I'm in the South so not sure whose the best source for you in Yorkshire.

Ta John, whatever about the Oregonians :) I tend to respond to anything that's a bit that way too...

I get a rash on exposed skin i.e. my arms when machining never caused any breathing problems fortunately. I am looking to source some myself soon for a strip built kayak would be grateful if you can keep us posted if you find a supplier who can provide longish lengths.
All the best
Rob

Benchwayze":slx6uvqx said:
Rob,
How long is a kayak? Usually that is.

John

he will probably want 16 to 16' 6" depending on the design - based on what I am expecting to get round to at some point this year!

unfortunately I need to sort out a conservatory first - but then again that's also going to require a load of WRC but more like 8x2" and 4x4" than 4 or 6mm strip (and a lot less fun :( ) I have my fingers crossed I can avoid the 8x2" requirement.

Overall length is about 17-18 feet. Its a sea kayak. I don`t need full length throughout but some long lengths would be handy for setting out. The rest can be scarfe jointed. Its made from strips about 3/4 by 1/4. I`m currently building a bandsaw for this purpose as my table saw makes too much sawdust out of each cut. I have been playing with a small table saw i made from a redundant circular saw which has less wastage but is short on depth for anything over about 2 1/2 inches. I have posted a link that shows the process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE7DVFvD ... re=related
The film itself is really worth watching even if you have no interest in kayaks.
All the best
rob

Both typing at the same time have a look at the vid if you have not already seen it
all the best
Rob

Benchwayze":2y3cg6ht said:
OK chaps thanks..
I suppose some strips can be scarfed, with good adhesive? Or maybe not?

regards
John

The adhesive is not critical the way these are built essentially its a glass and epoxy sandwich with a wood filling. The formers provide the shape initially and are removed when the wood is shaped to them. The glass and resin provide the waterproofing and the added strength both inside and out. The wooden strips can be patterned as the wood basically shines through the resin and glass. The advantage of using thin strips is the kayak is flexible so in the event of contact with a hard surface it bends over the obstruction rather than collapsing or breaking. This obviously has limitations and they wont bend over everthing they come across.
All the best
rob

Latest posts

Back