Wealden vs…

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodypk

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all…

I’ve been buying Wealden router bits for a while now and I’ve been pretty disappointed with the last two round over bits I’ve bought - 2mm and 3mm bits for easing edges on mainly oak and a bit of pine.

They don’t seem to last very long with moderate use.

I use them in a handheld router and I make sure to not let them scorch the wood and therefore dull the bits.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a brand of router bits I could try for my next purchase?

I was thinking about the CMT rounder over bit with insert knives as I’d imagine with the indexing cutter you’d eventually be saving money if you use small radius round over bits quite a bit. It’s an initial investment to buy the cutter but once you’ve got it, you buy a new set of knives with 4 cutting edges for the same price as one Wealden cutter.

Any brand suggestions? Anyone tried the CMT replacement knife round over bit?

My first reaction would be to contact Wealdon and explain your issues, they have great customer focus and will want to resolve any issues, there could be a production or material issue so they would want to know.

Having brought many of there router cutters over the years without any issues then rather than just looking to jump ship get to the bottom of the problem.

What router are you using ?

I’ve used Rennie before and I use them for my CNC cutters from time to time. I found that Wealden cutters were better than Rennie.

I’m also using two routers at the moment, I’ve got a Bosch 1600 and I’ve got a cheap Katsu 18v router.

I appreciate that there may be an issue with the cutters themselves but It would be helpful to know if there’s anyone on par with Wealden just to add my my list of preferred suppliers. I’ll continue to use Wealden as I believe they do sell quality cutters but I’d be interested to know who else can also provide a quality product at a decent price.

Back