We are hiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once replied to a job advert on here, and there where many sceptics such as on you're post. But I ended up working for him and his company on and off for about 6 years and he has been one of my best friends for nearly 7 years.

Adidat
Great stuff glad to hear it. I don't understand the sceptics. Do the same people write into newspapers and job sites picking advarts apart:rolleyes:? Really don't know how this advert ended up from a sincere offer of employment implying corners are cut and health and safety issues. All the best

Great opportunity for someone. If I wasn't in a different part of the country and in another life I'd love to have a job like that. (I've done most of the things in the spec having restored a VW camper back in the 80's from scratch and done a lot of work on others for other people).

It's very difficult in todays job market as I see many CVs coming in for roles where the candidate has no fit for the role because it was a couple of clicks away and too easy to apply. I think most job specs try to outline what the ideal candidate would look like and the reality is plusses and minuses in different areas. I work in the technology sector and have seen specs asking for 10 yrs experience in a technology thats only been around for 5!

I don't think the ask is unreasonable and should attract the sort of candidates you need which is its only purpose. I'm guessing it is a small business so you can't employ experts in every field as its not practical and as said earlier multi skilling is the future. Now the contentous bit - I sometimes think for some things the amount of experience actually required can be overplayed (usually by in a particulat trade). One example is being Gas Safe - my brother is Gas Safe for his job working on commercial gas installations. His view is that the training and testing is much simpler than most people think and is a few days and a few hundred quid. He also told me he's never seen anyone fail it. You don't always need 10 years in something to be good enough at it. Plenty of small one man bands produce good quality products so it can obviously be done.

Good luck!
Agree totally. Thanks

Love to see more images of the vans, outside as well.
Don't let them get you down, sounds like a great opportunity.

Heres a few. Thanks(y)

Attachments

• DSC02500 (1).jpg
    DSC02500 (1).jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20210327_140507_756.jpg
    IMG_20210327_140507_756.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20200714_200842_179.jpg
    IMG_20200714_200842_179.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20200725_151537_342.jpg
    IMG_20200725_151537_342.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 37
i do not consider the op to be expecting someone to be able to do the lot, just a few and the rest can be taught.
i trained as a C&J, but when times were tight i worked for a sparks, learnt 1st fix, and some 2nd, not connection to the board obviously, thoroughly enjoyed learning a new trade.

i would look at the job spec and consider the person to be approachable to discuss final skills and what you are prepared to learn. i am sure any gas/electical/mechanical work would be checked by a competent person, an opportunity to try something different also.

I used to work in maintenance in an old building with two other people. Two of us were competent with joinery, two with electrics, two with water, two with wet trades, two with glazing and all three with decorating and wall and floor tiling. Only one of us was actually qualified in a trade. It worked well for one reason - we all knew when to stop and call someone in. There are people about who are quite proficient at many things.

i do not consider the op to be expecting someone to be able to do the lot, just a few and the rest can be taught.
i trained as a C&J, but when times were tight i worked for a sparks, learnt 1st fix, and some 2nd, not connection to the board obviously, thoroughly enjoyed learning a new trade.

i would look at the job spec and consider the person to be approachable to discuss final skills and what you are prepared to learn. i am sure any gas/electical/mechanical work would be checked by a competent person, an opportunity to try something different also.
Exactly correct. Couldn't have put it better

A fantastic opportunity fo someone with some experience and a drive to learn making something that gives pleasure and is in demand. @Tadge (y) for offering a member the chance to further what they know and to have a chance at a job they will enjoy. I do hope someone who is close enough to you on here proves to be just the person. I wish you every success.

A fantastic opportunity fo someone with some experience and a drive to learn making something that gives pleasure and is in demand. @Tadge (y) for offering a member the chance to further what they know and to have a chance at a job they will enjoy. I do hope someone who is close enough to you on here proves to be just the person. I wish you every success.
Thanks @Droogs

I don't understand the sceptics. Do the same people write into newspapers and job sites picking advarts apart:rolleyes:?
You placed a job ad in a discussion forum - surely you're not surprised that people offer opinions on the ad, are you? And if some are critical, maybe there's good reason and you could take that into account? In my uninformed opinion, some of the Essentials could move to the Desirables list, which seems to have happened in the course of the above discussion. But then, I'm not an HR person, either. Good luck, anyway - I'll be looking to convert my T5 in due course and could well be in touch.

You placed a job ad in a discussion forum - surely you're not surprised that people offer opinions on the ad, are you? And if some are critical, maybe there's good reason and you could take that into account? In my uninformed opinion, some of the Essentials could move to the Desirables list, which seems to have happened in the course of the above discussion. But then, I'm not an HR person, either. Good luck, anyway - I'll be looking to convert my T5 in due course and could well be in touch.
Thanks Chris. I am suprised actually as it was my intention to advertise a job not ask for opinions on the advert, health and safety, workmanship or criticisms of a company through assumptions. I just thought as I am looking to employ a person with carpentry skills a carpentry forum would be a sensible place with perhaps a target audience... Anyway let me know if you need any help or advice with your van.
Cheers(y)(y)(y)

Tadge, is every fitout custom or one of say a dozen options with maybe a few tweaks? I say this because having worked in several companies dealing with things ranging from PSV/coaches, kitcars, marine and special vehicles you could ease the skills requirement by using more mass production techniques, ie wiring boards and for fitted units pre made templates or even CNC cut profiled panels to fit the van contours to make it easier to build the units. This technique could also allow you to sell interiors for van owners to fit themselves.

I just thought as I am looking to employ a person with carpentry skills a carpentry forum would be a sensible place with perhaps a target audience
Yes that makes complete sense but it was the additional that I amongst others thought might be stretching the boundaries slightly, and there is a lot of experience on these forums and understanding. We know the difficulties that can be faced in woodwork as it seems that when you get old it is something many turn too like myself but I can only admire the skills of a trained cabinet maker, my skills lay elsewhere. Skills start with training but are honed through experience which can only come with time.

o me having retired from the independent motor trade a few years ago the job description just sounds to me like an average days work.
How many years, it has been a while since we used much wood on our cars, Morris traveller springs too mind and if dealing with rust was not enough they introduced woodworm and rot as well!!

Interesting thread (in parts). Top marks to Tadge for posting the opportunity. Clearly few are super skilled in everything, but I reckon I could do most of the things there with some signed off by another (eg gas). (I a not an applicant by the way :)). My brother (had he not had a stroke) is hopeless at woodwork, but he would have done all the gas, electric (both qualified), metal fabrication, welding, etc in his sleep. So there will be people around who could do it.

My brother had one of these VW vans which he fitted out (I made the cabinetry woodwork for him). He used to fit out barges when he was an apprentice and reckoned doing a custom van was much the same. They had most of their holidays in it. I hate camping but I know some people really get the bug.

Hope it all works out Tadge. Ignore criticism - it's the only way to succeed in business!

Last edited:
Tadge, is every fitout custom or one of say a dozen options with maybe a few tweaks? I say this because having worked in several companies dealing with things ranging from PSV/coaches, kitcars, marine and special vehicles you could ease the skills requirement by using more mass production techniques, ie wiring boards and for fitted units pre made templates or even CNC cut profiled panels to fit the van contours to make it easier to build the units. This technique could also allow you to sell interiors for van owners to fit themselves.
Similar vehicles but nothing square, so each one is tweaked by hand. Templated etc. I also have a 10x5 cnc so many things are cut on that. But you would be suprised that even the simplest jobs can be a stretch for some people. I have had job ads with more generic skills but have not attracted the correct candidate. 👍

Back