We are hiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tadge

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is not a suitable post but Eclipse Campers in Yeovil Somerset are looking for a person with wood working skills.

We are looking for a multi-skilled individual with a flexible approach to all jobs. You should have a keen interest in campervans specifically VW Transporters and a willingness to learn is key. The applicant will be experienced in wood work to cabinet making/bench joinery level. Additionally a number of the skills listed below will be desired. You will be expected to undertake all jobs as required. Job specific training will be provided where necessary. The role includes all aspects of vehicle conversions, wood work, cabinet making, metal work, electrical installations, suspension upgrades, preparing vehicles for conversion, Packing components ready for shipping to customers, preparing flat pack furniture etc

Due to the high level of applicants, you are requested to apply by sending a CV to [email protected]

Essential skill requirements:

• Carpentry/ cabinet making
• Knowledge of Scribing and finishing furniture to uneven surfaces
Hand held tools, routers etc
Finishing and edging
• Knowledge of edge banding
• Electrical installations 230v and 12v systems
• Vehicle body work, cutting metal, fitting windows and roofs etc
• Vehicle mechanical work, suspension, removing wheels , fuel tanks etc
• Gas installations, copper pipe bending, jointing etc
• Working knowledge of hand tools, power tools, routers
• Completing work to a high standard to company standards in order to achieve customer satisfaction.

Desired skills
• Practical skills
• Good communication skills
• Know when to use own initiative
• Design skills

Personal qualities
The ideal candidate will candidate will:
• have an interest in VW vans and campers
• Be a quick learner
• Have a flexible approach
• Have a positive attitude
• Be hands-on
• Be proactive an willing to research jobs as required
• Have a good eye for detail
• Be a great team player

As the role is of a physical nature and will involve some heavy lifting, candidates will need to be physically fit and able.

Desired qualifications

• joinery /carpentry type qualifications
• GCSE English & Maths A* - C (or equivalent)
• A full, clean UK driving license

Future prospects

It is our aim for the right candidate to remain in a permanent role within the business, developing their level of responsibilities and skills accordingly.
The role is subject to a 6 month trial period

Please apply in the first instance by sending a CV to [email protected]

In return, you will get from us

Competitive Wages (Based on experience and subject to review)

28 Days Holiday

If you have relevant experience even without some of the above we would love to hear from you.

Last edited:
typical person spec for what's really a semi skilled position! gas work 240v and 12v work are separate skills at any decent level. and as mentioned the candidate would be hugely underutilised. minibus world near us do this stuff and they have electricians fitters woodworkers mechanics etc

Any one with all those skills fancy doing a few days a week around my house. My wife has a big list.

Joking aside, good to see a business doing well, some peoples dream job by the sound of it.

Looks a bit like a cabinet maker who can do full camper conversions to a professional standard on their own (essential), then go on to document and market the work (desirable), and who then is flexible enough to learn yet more skills as might be required (personal skills) - presumably running the business? I mean, there's not a lot else to do, is there?

Hell, you don’t want much do you. In actual fact from what I’ve seen when working on mobile homes etc a trained Cabinetmaker would be totally over the top and very underutilised. but still I suppose you have to weed out the happy hackers. Ian
Yes a fully trained cabinet maker would be under utilised I agree but they will have the attention to detail required and bring new ideas skills. Also someone with these or similar skills may want a change. Its an all rounder position edging to the joinery side of things. We have to think what will be easier to teach someone without the required skills. The woodwork side of things is the most time consuming and needs to be right.
I've had many previous applicants whose woodwork skills are making planters for patios. We need somewhere between the 2 extremes. We also have applicants with no relevant skills so need to list all the desirable skills. Most sensible proactive applicants looking for work with some of the skills would get in touch for a chat.
Thanks

typical person spec for what's really a semi skilled position! gas work 240v and 12v work are separate skills at any decent level. and as mentioned the candidate would be hugely underutilised. minibus world near us do this stuff and they have electricians fitters woodworkers mechanics etc
Thanks, depends what you class as semi skilled. Electricians are far from semi skilled for example and do 5-6 years apprenticeship to technician level. I'm no belittling anyone, if you have skills, formal quals or not and you can do agood job, you are skilled. Ive seen many a person with qualifications who simply cant do a job.
Thanks

I had a customer a few years back, he was only early 30s and had built up a business employing 25 people.

He started buying old VW camper vans, doing em up and flogging them, but the supply of said vans was limited so he now buys vans from Brazil where they make a replica....I think his website is something like braziliancampers.something or other

He uses cnc machinery for his cabinetwork - I'm not sure he employs what one might call a cabinetmaker.

Tadge, you have used two sentences there that are music to my ears, the first one is get in touch for a chat, that was always my first step on the route to an interview actually, a quick talk on the phone, you can tell an awful lot that way, and the second one, is I’ve seen many a person with qualifications who simply can’t do a job. And the converse is equally true as I’m sure you know. Not sure if it’s of any help but there is a hub of caravan/motorhome building here on the Humber, Might be worth a local ad?

Hope you find someone to do the job well, no doubt there are some out there that will have all the required skills in your list, but i would think they would be a very rare find . Over the years I have had a go at most things you mention but only from a DIY home situation where time was not a constraint. sometimes with great success and on occasion spectacular failures added to the learning curve. You may end up with a "Jack of all trades but Master of none".

Tadge, you have used two sentences there that are music to my ears, the first one is get in touch for a chat, that was always my first step on the route to an interview actually, a quick talk on the phone, you can tell an awful lot that way, and the second one, is I’ve seen many a person with qualifications who simply can’t do a job. And the converse is equally true as I’m sure you know. Not sure if it’s of any help but there is a hub of caravan/motorhome building here on the Humber, Might be worth a local ad?
Thanks for the reply. I need someone in somerset ish area really, humber probably too far to commute. Thanks for your kind words👍👍

You don't really need one person, you need 5. There are a handful of skills there that take a lifetime to master. You need a joiner, electrician, plumber, gas engineer and mechanic all in one. I didn't think you were allowed to do gas or electric installs (commercially) these days without being qualified.

You don't really need one person, you need 5. There are a handful of skills there that take a lifetime to master. You need a joiner, electrician, plumber, gas engineer and mechanic all in one. I didn't think you were allowed to do gas or electric installs (commercially) these days without being qualified.
Thanks I'm not looking for a master in all of those trades, really listing what is desirable. As i have mentioned previously i have had applicants with no transferable skills so this is a list as a guide for applicants.
Cheers

You could try poaching someone ambitious and wants a change from the production line of Bailey caravans in Bristol???

Cheers James

For some reason the scenario below comes to mind:
Minimum wage parable

A man owned a small ranch in Wyoming. The Wyoming Wage & Hour Dept. claimed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to interview him. "I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the agent.
"Well," replied the rancher, "There's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 per week plus free room and board.
Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night."

"That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit," says the agent.

"That would be me," replied the rancher

For some reason the scenario below comes to mind:
Minimum wage parable

A man owned a small ranch in Wyoming. The Wyoming Wage & Hour Dept. claimed he was not paying proper wages to his help and sent an agent out to interview him. "I need a list of your employees and how much you pay them," demanded the agent.
"Well," replied the rancher, "There's my ranch hand who's been with me for 3 years. I pay him $600 a week plus free room and board. The cook has been here for 18 months, and I pay her $500 per week plus free room and board.
Then there's the half-wit who works about 18 hours every day and does about 90% of all the work around here. He makes about $10 per week, pays his own room and board and I buy him a bottle of bourbon every Saturday night."

"That's the guy I want to talk to, the half-wit," says the agent.

"That would be me," replied the rancher
yep its great running your own business...;)

Does not give that company a very good image, basically looking for a jack of all and master of none. They do say you need to "Be a quick learner " but not how many people you can give CO poisoning or electrocute in the process of learning.

The real skill required here is the person making the wooden fit outs, and I have only met one person with that skill and he was a shipright but definately not a motor technician or qualified to install gas.

Back