Water stones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodpig":2z6p6jhu said:
My King stone is double sided with a thick piece of plastic between the two halfs. I fully expect it would fall apart if I kept it in a bucket of water! :lol:

I have one of those and it has been immersed since the day I received it.Still works.

adrspach":p3b8p11o said:

Sorry you lost me. Where did I write that " Norton stones aren't to be submerged"?

If I did I do appologise to everybody who got confused by my information.

You said: "Depends which one you have as they have different types of bonding used. I believe Norton and King are submerged ".

Hence I wrote: "I was pointing out the mistake in adrspachs' post and that the Norton stones aren't to be submerged and left in water".

Hard work this net malarky.

worn thumbs":2lonuirf said:
woodpig":2lonuirf said:
My King stone is double sided with a thick piece of plastic between the two halfs. I fully expect it would fall apart if I kept it in a bucket of water! :lol:

I have one of those and it has been immersed since the day I received it.Still works.

Didn't one of the earlier posts say only the coarse grit on King stones should be used wet?!

I just got off the phone with technical support at Norton abrasives (1-800-551-4415) and the official comment was that all the stones can be submerged with no detrimental effect. The technician said that he had received the same question on numerous occasions and had gone to the stones engineer to obtain a specific response- no problem whatsoever keeping the stones submerged.

I can't speak for an official response on other brands but I have king combination 250/1000 and a 1000/4000 (IIRC) stones that I bought over ten years ago and they're still fine.

I don't keep my waterstones submerged, but then I do 90% of my sharpening on a coticule which does not need soaking and only go to the waterstones occasionally to true up a bevel or take out a chip.

I don't find the 10 minute soak to be too bad (as others have said, wait until the bubbles stop) and it gives me time to get all the tools together and get everything else ready.

iNewbie":9qz6g44b said:
adrspach":9qz6g44b said:

Sorry you lost me. Where did I write that " Norton stones aren't to be submerged"?

If I did I do appologise to everybody who got confused by my information.

You said: "Depends which one you have as they have different types of bonding used. I believe Norton and King are submerged ".

Hence I wrote: "I was pointing out the mistake in adrspachs' post and that the Norton stones aren't to be submerged and left in water".

Hard work this net malarky.

Is that what you expressing your personal opinion or manufacturers advice for particular batch of stones?

adrspach":1twpj53o said:
Is that what you expressing your personal opinion or manufacturers advice for particular batch of stones?

The manufacturers advice doesn't state in the Instructions to leave in water. Here they are for you, again

"Immerse the stones in water for 10 minutes prior to use and keep the stone surface wet during sharpening. The 8000 grit polishing stone needs only a splash of water on the surface to cut properly; soaking is not necessary."

I have one, and I don't. I doubt I would leave it in water if they wrote in their own manual too - because its nae-bother to me to wet a stone.

Would you like to continue arguing about the instructions the manufacturer printed for their product? I've tried looking for the part where it says leave 'em in water but I can't find it - neither in the manual or on their website.

The bottom line is, is it really that much effort to put the stone in soak for a few minutes while you do something else like make a cup of tea? :?

woodpig":2fmsqgsh said:
The bottom line is, is it really that much effort to put the stone in soak for a few minutes while you do something else like make a cup of tea? :?
I agree with you and believe that is what I wrote as for me soaking and submerging is if not the same is very near to each other.

from what I've read, generally speaking it seems to be the softer ones that want to be kept wet (king for example), whereas the harder ones like shapton seem to be ok with a quick spray before sharpening

Latest posts

Back