Flood aftermath - saving my saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glenfield2

Established Member
Reaction score
We got flooded in Storm Babet this weekend. My shed cum tool store copped it badly - nearly three feet underwater.
TBH the only thing I’m really upset about is my Dewalt table saw which was submerged.
Now the water is down it’s just covered in silt.
Any advice on the prognosis? I can clean it all up but will the motor be okay?

I would wash down with clean water and fairy liquid and them spray it with a massive amount of wd40.

But wait for a few more knowledge guys opinions first!!

Chances are the bearings will need changing. Strip down the motor, Wash it out and replace the bearings.

it's not unusual to wash out motors but not with a power washer.....
def dont use a degreaser ......
but once clean leave it to dry for a few days, then in the airing cupboard or a sunny window...
turning every few hours.....after which a gentle blow out with an airline to remove any loose grit......
as deemas says replace every bearing.......
I would also unscrew every nut and bolt and any little sews and refit after blowing out the holes and use a few drops of oil....
Yes I;m sad, every new bit of kit to me involves oiling every nut and bolt except where locktite is needed.....
many years down the line I can still undo anything with ease....
My T4 VW Transporter had the same treatment as it's my van for life....
anyway,
after the soaking it wont take long for those carp fixings to start rotting, esp in ally.....
might want to think about binning the starter contactor NVR....., if it has one....
as an add on....where poss I change every fixing for stainless steel as they look pretty.....again sad I know.....

WD40 is Water Displacement 40.
My vote is also for thorough / repeated wash out, blow out as much water as you can with a compressor if possible, WD40 next to protect the metal while you do the big strip down and replace bearings and corroded bolts.

Chances are the bearings will need changing. Strip down the motor, Wash it out and replace the bearings.
Bearings should actually be fine. It's only something like pressure washing can get water in past the seals in such force as to move the grease.
This opinion comes from a cyclist who is used to water and bikes.

Back