Fecn's Tiny Workshop Tour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

Established Member
Reaction score
Here it is - My workshop (if that's not stretching the meaning of the word a bit) measures a whopping 6ft wide by 14ft long and as you can see it's at the pinnacle of workshop design and construction.

P1291021.JPG

The spacious interior featurs all mod cons such as bare live wires, designer wall-gaps and a convenient drip-feed water supply from the rooftop rainwater storage facilities. Internal storage spaces are suitable for storing large numbers of small insects and rodents.

P5121079.JPG

Well.. that's how it looked when we moved in at the start of May 06. After we'd been here for a couple of months, we got the living room double-glazed and there were some left-over windows which I saved from the skip. The shed/workshop rebuild project was born.
Unfortunately, you're going to get no WIP pictures for this. I was expecting things to take a lot longer.
I stripped the old shed down to the brickwork+timber frame with frightening speed. It took me literally 15 minutes using nothing more than a claw hammer. Although they weren't rotten, the old boards on the shed were so dry and brittle they pretty much fell apart instantly. Hitting things with hammers can be so much fun :p
With the help of my 60-year old mother (who is in no way burly or butch, but still loves playing with power tools - I learned my first DIY skills from her), we clad the shed in T&G boards and trimmed the ends flsuh with a circular saw. In one day, we replaced all the wood. After that, my mum went home.
It took me two more days to sort out new felt for the roof and treat the timber. - The large frame hanging on the wall with the windows is to hold a 16mm triple-wall polycarbonate roofing sheet... fold-out canopy for working outdoor... extra security when it's folded down. I'll order that from screwfix one day.
The mess of planks on the floor is the old workbench from inside - The interior only got completed about a month ago.

P1090263.JPG

And here it is...

The walls have 65mm of fibreglass between the outer and inner layers of T&G which makes the whole place lovely and cosy. The shop heats up in about 2 mins as soon as you use a power tool. I've taken to leaving things messy and making vacuuming the first job each time I go in. 5 mins with the shopvac and the place is cosy. (It'll be hellishly hot in summer) - I plan to put up a 6mm ply ceiling and bury another 65mm of fibreglass up there too.
I laid the floor (18mm softwood ply) over the top of the existing rough-pouted concrete. There's a membrane, underfloor insulation, battens and then ply. The whole lot's less than three inches thick (or seventy six and a bit millimetres for you metric folks ;) I varnished the floor to help keep it clean - It makes it very easy to sweep up sawdust.

P1090252.JPG

The floor was my first time ever working with plywood. The workbench was my second. (You could call the workbench my second woodworking project.. the nappy changing table where I hijacked CYC's thread was the first. https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11426&highlight=changing ) The workbench is still a bit of a WIP, so it's not actually screwed in place yet, and the worktop's not held down. I'm planning to run dust-extraction and compressed air to a number of points around the workbench... and make a couple of the shelves slide. I'm rather pleased with my full-extension drawers. Bottom's for sanders, middle's abrasives and top's nails, screws and a few airtools

P1090258.JPG

Now it's time for the obligatory tools...

Planer/Thicknesser and grinder - That's one shelf that's getting drawer-slider - The deep shelves are great for storing small machines.

P1090255.JPG

Some Drills, Some Drillbits, A Router, Some Router Bits, Planer, Saw.. and a few other things that came in plastic cases

P1090256.JPG

Table Saw - Ryobi ES1825 - Amazingly.. cunningly, the new workbench just happens to be exactly the same height as the table saw making the whole workshop into one big in/outfeed table. I have to swing the TS around to actually use it, but I can just-about get an 8x4 sheet in the shed and rip it. I've got a double garage and some roller-stands as well, so if I'm going to be doing a lot of sawing, I'll move the car out and the TS in.

P1090250.JPG

SCMS - It's a B&Q Jobbie... Macalaster... It's actually not bad now that I've replaced the factory-fit blade with something with a respectable number of teeth for crosscutting, and straightened the fence.. and removed the little metal plate that seems to have no purpose other than to block the dust extraction port - The slide mechanism is nice, there's plenty of power and the angle-mounted motor doesn't get in the way. Accruacy isn't up to that of £400 saws, but it cost about 1/3 that and I'm happy emough with it.

P1090251.JPG

The Pillar drill is a fairly recent purchase - I've yet to build a propper place for it to stand. It's destined to live near the door on a rolling stand. Since I delve into bits of metalworking too, it's quite a useful addition for me.

P1090249.JPG

The shopvac is a bit deafening, so I tend to wear ear defenders most of the time I'm in there. The bandsaw and mortiser were freebies, given to me by my window cleaner.

P1090253.JPG

Teeny compressor in here at the moment although I have a bigger one should I need it. That 'thing' behind it is a router table (on the basis that some router table is better than no router table) - It actually works OK.

P1090254.JPG

I've still got to make better use of the walls - I've got plans for shelves and all sorts in there to make use of those wasted spaces.

P1090262.JPG

Well.. that's all for now - Thanks for looking at the pictures... and if you read all my words too, thanks even more.

Fecn

**Edit 20/06/07 - Updated image URLs

FECN

Good looking layout there and what a difference after you had done the works on it.

Wouldn't worry to much about the size, we all have to live with limitation, thatks for sharing.

Yes mate , top job , looks like you will have some fun in there now

and Yes I did ( and if you read all my words too, thanks even more. )

:wink:

Wow, shows what a bit of imagination and effort can achieve. =D> =D> =D>

Particularly like the idea of the fold out roof area so you can do stuff outside, great idea.

Thanks for the tour.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Fecn, thanks for sharing you've squeezed a lot into that space and it sure looks cozy.

For some reason the timber frame over low brick wall design is one that I've had in my mind for some while - not sure why though.

Andy

thanks for the tour! I have to say that I think I prefered the original rustic look to the workshop but each to his own :wink: And if your mum likes to play with power tools I'm sure that there will be plenty of people on the forum who will invite her round!

Cheers, Steve

PS. as SWMBO keeps reminding me - it's not size that counts its what you do with it - and it looks like you will be doing quite a lot in yer new shop in the future. All the best.

Fecn
What can I say - a cold frosty morning with a nice mug of T in there and I would be as happy as a pig in **** :D

Oh which reminds me do you have a tap? :shock:

Nice job mate - hopefully mine will come up to scratch some day!! :oops:

J

Inspirational FECN. That is about the size of what my workshop will be if I ever finish it!

How do you find that little perform bandsaw?

Good workshop - thanks for the guided tour and the words - what sort of stuff and you gonna build in there? - Rob

Fecn

Brilliant. You've used your available space to best advantage - looks real cosy in there.

Regards.

I liked that --well done very good-full of humour,---now heres what else you need to do widen the door way so you can fit in a big reclining chair/& put up a strong tv shelf for those times that you are in the doghouse.

oh and a mini fridge as well.

regards

shivers.

Looks great, you have done a super job.

One thing though, I am afraid if I had a double garage the workshop would be there not the shed. A bit of rain won't hurt the cars.

HI Fecn,

As an in-progress builder myself it's geat to see what you achieved with the space availabe, and it gets me thinking of idea's for the interior of my own and also wondering if I should insulate my floor - thanks for taking the time to post, excellent job!

Buckeye wrote:
I had a double garage the workshop would be there not the shed. A bit of rain won't hurt the cars.
Agreed - some time and dosh spent on converting a DG would give you allot more space...have a look at Philly's web site and see the toys and shiney trinkets he's got in there....and I've never, ever kept a motor in a garage - Rob

This has got to be one of the best workshop tours yet, a real inspiration for any newbee/wanabee. So Fecn your well on the slope, I do hope to see some work in progress soon. :D

Back