water stain oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipz

Established Member
Reaction score
What is the best method of removing a water stain on oak, a friend of mine has asked me to do this job it is around a wash hand basin and was varnished ,but the varnish is lifting and an area around the basin is deeply water stained and very damp.

Yep, oxalic acid is the one, just be careful to only apply it to the stained patch, otherwise it will lighten the surrounding area

Thanks,it is quite damp ,what is the best way to dry it out cheers.

It's probably best to leave it to dry naturally which may take a while. I assume the sink is in use in which case you will need to find some way to stop any water being splashed on it while it dries, maybe cover it with a piece of plastic or something.

You can probably treat it with the oxalic acid before it dries as I seem to recall that you have to wash the acid off after use anyway, then you can let it dry and apply a waterproof finish.

Not sure of the best finish in the circumstances maybe someone else can help there.

regards

Brian

Back