Wasps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round my way, we have more hornets than wasps. Scary though they are, I prefer the hornets because they seem to go about their business and (unlike wasps)have no interest in pestering humans. Provided of course they are not disturbed or threatened.

Adult wasps don't eat insects directly, they are fed to their young, and the adults feed off their sweet secretions, which is why then the breeding cycle is over, around now, that the wasps have to go out and find their own sugar supply.

Be wary of wasp traps, there has been research that suggests that they can actually attract more wasps.

The wasps are no worse this year than last. But we've had more horse flies this year than ever before. Got bitten by one or more (on wrist, arm and leg) a few years ago. Took over a year to properly skin over. Just kept weeping. Didn't hurt like a wasp sting though, as it's a bite.

doorframe":1v58orr4 said:
The wasps are no worse this year than last. But we've had more horse flies this year than ever before. Got bitten by one or more (on wrist, arm and leg) a few years ago. Took over a year to properly skin over. Just kept weeping. Didn't hurt like a wasp sting though, as it's a bite.

They are much worse round our way this year. Maybe it's a regional thing?

I suppose it depends where the nest is situated, but I had one in my garden a few years back.The 'bee-line' was right across where SWMBO frequented, using the washing line. So we had the nest removed. The guy who did the job, advised to leave them be, if they are not causing problems. In the autumn, they desert the nest, and that's when you can dispose of it. I haven't had a problem since, but should I have another nest, then all things being equal, I am leaving well alone. As an aside, the nests these critters build are marvel of natural engineering.

Back