Warco bandsaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

otter

Established Member
Reaction score
Any good? Am looking at bandsaws (again) and have narrowed it down to two. Either the Axminster SBW3501B or the Warco 14". Comparable machines, although the Warco slightly edges it in terms of bed size, cutting depth and width. It is also 24kg heavier and has double the grunt. (That's got to be a good thing, right?).

But the big attraction is that it's over £300 cheaper. Yes, I appreciate that Axminster offer 2 years extra guarantee over Warco and have 0% credit options (which is an attractive proposition), but on paper, the Warco is the superior machine. What do you reckon? There must be a reason for the price difference? Lesser known make, inferior components or simply Axminster charging that because they can?

All thoughts gratefully received.

I keep looking at Warco stuff and can't make up my mind about them. I very nearly bought one of their pillar drills but got a second hand Draper one locally, which i'm not completely happy with. Still keep looking at the Warco site, so would also like an opinion on their stuff. Sorry, that's not much help to the original query is it?

Both saws your looking at have the same spec as a record bs350 at around £699,and with records 5 year warranty and customer service it is cheaper than both your options or don't you like record . If you can stretch to the bs400 it is a very good saw , many members inc myself have one and it is cheaper than the Axminster . The 5 year warranty wins every time and which ever saw you do choose the first thing to do is get a Tuffsaw blade

Regards David

I have the forerunner of the Record BS range, namely the RSBS14 and it's been spot on, so would also recommend them.

Thanks Dave. The only problem with the bs400 is space. I'm pretty limited and the 400 would just be too large. I did disregard Record to be honest, but the reasons do not really make sense, even to me. You know when you just have this mental dislike for a brand, for no real discernible reason? A bit like Vauxhall I guess. There's probably nothing wrong with them, I just don't like their cars and would never buy one. Maybe I should have another look at the bs350.

Also, I do like to go against the grain of popularity every so often. If everyone raves about a make (e.g. Record) I do like to be a bit contrary and go for a slightly rarer brand just for the sake of it. (E.g. Warco). Maybe that's driving my attraction to it slightly too.

Not exactly the same but Warco have a good reputation for their range of metal working stuff. I have one of their lathes and am very happy with it.

Rod

Hi otter, as to space, I have the BS400 in my garage and each time I put the car away, I wheel it to the back, turn ir sideways and the car will fit in. Manuverability is very good and as mentioned, the Record has 5 year guarantee and very good backup if needed. Together with Tuffsaw blades and tuned correctly, you would never need anything more. Even the Record 300 series are excellent.

Malcolm

My experience with Warco metal working machines was rather variable. First I bought a mini milling machine. It's been brilliant. It's still going strong after many years.

Then I bought a lathe; which was nothing but trouble. The wrong travelling steady was provided with it, and despite many phone calls with lukewarm responses from them, it never got replaced. After about two dozen sessions on it, the power supply blew. The power supply is a fancy one to give variable speed. I gave up and sold it second hand to a guy who knew his electronics.

My experience of Axminster and Record on the other hand is that they're reliable and responsive.

But as always, your mileage may vary.

Hmmm. Well I rang them this morning with a couple of questions and expressing my interest to come and have a look at one at their shop near Guildford. Lukewarm reception pretty much described their enthusiasm for me too. Odd really. If their machines are that good (and on paper, they are) you'd have thought they'd be trying to push their brand hard.

I've had an Axminster SBW3501B for several years, it's done a lot of work and has been no problem at all. I fitted a Tuffsaws blade almost from the beginning and would highly recommend them.

I had a drill press from them a couple of months ago and am happy with it

http://www.warco.co.uk/drilling-machine ... chine.html

I have not had a chance to really use it in anger but it seems accurate and has a decent if not spectacular level of finish. The tension lever for gears is very hard to move but maybe that will improve in time.

I did a fair bit of research before hand and a lot of the members of metal working / engineering forums seem to rate them.

My experience was they were helpful without ever sounding enthusiastic. In fairness this was the days leading up to a model engineering show that is apparently the biggest one in the country so they were busy prepping to exhibit at that. I will say that issues with delivery dates were sorted out swiftly and effectively.

I have seen a few different threads around the web that tell a story of Warco not exactly covering themselves in glory when something has gone badly wrong so maybe buy the saw on your credit card like i did so you have a bit of extra protection via your credit card company.

It's a shame the axminster aren't a bit closer to Record on price as if they were I'd have considered them when I got my BS400. I think I'd prefer the guides that the Axminster bandsaws use. Don't know though, never used the Axminster BS.

I'm not sure there really is a huge size difference when comparing various 14" and 16" bandsaws? Weight is more though when you get a full length one.

Have the Warco bandsaws shot up in price the same way the big sander has? That was about £180 at the start of the year but is now up to £264. I guess it is down to exchange rates.

Terry.

When i was considering the Warco drill press, they had an ex dem belt and disc sander for sale cheap which was collection only. I asked them if i bought a new drill from them, would they ship the belt and disc sander with it as well and they said no, which put me off them a bit. I guess the lukewarm tag is justified. I also read somewhere on a search of the company that they used to have a very good reputation but not so much now as they have gone the same way as a lot of companies and have stuff made abroad that they used to make themselves.

Well, model and mission creep has really set in. Ended up going for the Ax SBW4300B, and threw in a BDS612 just for fun!

Getting out of my small hatchback on my own (we'd put it in heavy-end first) with no mechanical help was a top laugh!

otter

How I have put in and taken out both my recent 350S Band Saw and pillar drill is to load in a large piece of plywood first, the heavy end or the machine in question is lowered onto the ply overhanging the end of the vehicle and then slid into the estate until it balance's , then from inside the vehicle pull in the ply and machine, reverse procedure to remove and put onto a sack barrow, this was all done by myself without any damage to my estate or machines.

Mike

Latest posts

Back