Wanted: Small router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan-K

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a Leigh dovetail jig I plan to give my brother, who is hopefully starting a carpentry apprenticeship soon. The jig is not too much use on its own so I'm looking for a 1/4" or 8mm router. I can't afford to spend 80 notes on a new T4 or similar, so I was wondering if anyone has either suggestions for a cheap but good (easily controllable) small router, or possibly an old router gathering dust in the shop that could be purchased for not much wonga :oops:

Thanks for any suggestions :)

I find that the larger cutters with 1/4" shanks chatter and cut oversize so go for a router that will take 8mm bits

Jason

I'd actually suggest going for a 1/2 inch router with plenty of power (and use the relevant collet). You take a lot of stock at once with dovetail jigs and im not fully convinced something like a T4 would handle it.

Having said that ive never tried it with a T4 either, so if someone else has please correct me

Luke

I've done dovetails with an Akeda/Trend jig and a T4, but the latter is a horrible piece of kit

If it's any good to you, I have a cheap ½in router that I've been thinking of getting rid of for for a while... I'm willing to sell it quite cheaply, too (£40 inc. courier?).

It's basically a cheap knock-off/imitation of the Makita 3612C. It's only single speed and it's not as nice overall (I also own the genuine 3612CX so, I can safely say that!). it starts up with more of a kick (like many cheap routers) and is a bit noisy.

4379066010_6e2f63f08f.jpg

It comes with the side fence, a 1/2" collet (might only be 12mm - not entirely sure!), 16mm and 30mm guide bushes and I even have a few cheap (Silverline) straight cutters you are welcome to.

No worries if you're not interested. Otherwise, send me a PM. :)

I have this model but manufactured by graphite 59G715 collet 12mm with reduction to 8mm and something smaller (?) > I newer use that.
1500W 9000-20000 rpm
Is rally good router for not plunge operations.

59G715_md1.jpg

I would agree that you do need the power of a large router (!/2").
Collets for 8mm shank cutters are available for most of these, and yes, 1/4" shank cutters do complain when cutting deep!

It will save you grief and expense in the long run.

HTH

John :)

Back