Wanted - Old 1950's - 1960's Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgromski

Reaction score
I am trying to find a 1960's Craftsman type table saw - the type with a cast iron table and the motor hangs out the back.

I am sure this is the model I used to own several years ago and stupidly sold it - Rockwell Beaver Model:6200 - see the owwm website

http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=3968

I guess these were imported in the 1950's - 1960's - anyone know - anyway it is one like this that I would like to source.

Hi rgromski

A whole bunch of us here have one of these they are branded Xcaliber. I have the TC10RAS sliding fence version and love it. Very powerful, quiet and reliable as well as great value for money.

Can somebody tell what the supposed advantage is to a tilting table as opposed to a tilting arbour?

Roy.

Thanks for the info - are these saws belt driven?

I will certainly consider one of these but I would still like to get hold of an old one in good working order.

Roger

Digit":1smu4unu said:
Can somebody tell what the supposed advantage is to a tilting table as opposed to a tilting arbour?

Roy.

I've never seen a tilting table tablesaw. Do they exist? I did see a bandsaw once where the table stayed horizon tal and the wheel/blade unit tilted, but I don't think it ever caught on...

rgromski:
I don't know if he's still around on here, but it's not that long ago that one of our members was trying to sell his xcalibur, and IIRC he hadn't had it long and it was the type you are looking for. Brammers, I think it was, anyone heard from him lately?

S

I've never seen a tilting table tablesaw

I have and father in law has still got it ... it's a Tyzack and sons, god knows how old it is. It sits on a frame with the motor underneath and a belt floating about in the air. Nasty dangerous horible thing. As for advantage as a manufacturer you don't have to swing the motor with the arbor just pivot the table at the front and back in line with the blade.

I think it's like bandsaws most have a pivot table but I have seen nice expensive ones where the frame pivots...not recently though. EDIT just realised you said that Steve:) I think it was a Laguna? had a rubbish set of guides apparently but if you knew where to get them, it could be upgraded

Alan

The Royal was a British made tilting table saw and very good too. The other one very highly thought of was the Inca cabinet makers saw.

These saws were common, you posters are making me feel mature.

My old KITY ck26 combo has a fixed arbour/tilting table table saw. That is the French for you!!
It is ok for occasional use but now I have the tilting arbour Xcaliber I would not go back to the Kity

Bob

mufti":nopzfml1 said:
The Royal was a British made tilting table saw and very good too. The other one very highly thought of was the Inca cabinet makers saw.

These saws were common, you posters are making me feel mature.

Makes me feel old too - you are also forgetting the Coronet Consort (and it's various predecessor attachments to the old single bed Coronet lathes), all of which had a tilting table. The worst thing with the Consort was trying to prevent gravity pulling the wood away from the fence :(

That was why I queried the logic behind the tilting table Dick, seems like another problem we can do without.

Roy.

Digit":3drjqqd6 said:
That was why I queried the logic behind the tilting table Dick, seems like another problem we can do without.

That's why I sold the Consort :) Like someone else has said, it was a cheap way to solve a problem for the maker, paid for by the user.
I guess to be fair to Coronet, it would have been almost impossible to make a tilting arbour saw at a reasonable price as part of the lathe set-up. And for an amateur with limited space, the old Coronets were actually very useful.

Back