Wanted: Any old Stanley/Record No.5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got an old No.5 going spare that they want to sell? I'm looking for something to convert into a scrub plane to help with stock removal, I don't mind the condition as long as nothing is broken. I'll be refurbishing the finish and/or the handles, so again condition is not important.

Cheers,
BB

ByronBlack":1seceve7 said:
Has anyone got an old No.5 going spare that they want to sell? I'm looking for something to convert into a scrub plane to help with stock removal, I don't mind the condition as long as nothing is broken. I'll be refurbishing the finish and/or the handles, so again condition is not important.

Cheers,
BB

I would recommend a smallest-you-can-find wooden jack plane for this.

BugBear

ByronBlack":vr65yizv said:

Cheers,
BB

Sorry cant help with this

:(

cambournepete":2t8u6n9d said:
bugbear":2t8u6n9d said:
I would recommend a smallest-you-can-find wooden jack plane for this.
How small would you suggest?

2" blade. Lots of them are 2 1/4 or 2 1/2". You don't want to be making wide cuts with a scrub.

I did a fairly complete conversion job on a razee Marples jack, including ditching the cap iron.

Here's the write up, in the only public version of my web pages:

http://web.archive.org/web/200605092155 ... scrub.html

Guess the pictures didn't make it to the archive.

BugBear

Blister":29nr0yym said:
ByronBlack":29nr0yym said:

Cheers,
BB

Sorry cant help with this

:(

Thanks for looking Allen, I'll probably end up with an ebay or bootsale (if I can't get up earlier enough) special.

BB,
The wooden plane I've got is 6" long with a 1.5" blade (same width as the Veritas scrub plane).

If you want it to have a play with then let me know.
I can deliver Wednesday evening on my way home from Kent...

Hi Cambournepete - that is a very generous offer, but pete (moose) has kindly offered me a No.5, but thanks anyway, it is very much appreciated.

Cheers guys!

i think after nine months BB may have sorted this. but maybe you could offer it in the for sale section im sure someone would be interested

welcome along.

adidat

Back