WANTED!!! ALL DELTA & DEWALT THICKNESSER OWNERS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, well thanks for any input you may have given to my previous posts and as you may be aware I am in the market for a new thicknesser as my delta 22-560 is no longer!!

I have spent the last day or so doing some serious surfing and have been going round in circles - let me explain.

My experience with the Delta has been nothing but bliss, it has done all that I have asked of it, the finish was good and the only thing i can fault it for is BREAKING!!! However, when I first bought this machine 7 or 8 years ago there simply wasn't the choice that there is today and now its a bit of a mine field not knowing whats good and whats not so good.

After reading a review of 6 thicknesses published in september 2006 (dewalt 733, delta 22-565, Rexon AP3300BQ, Makita 2012NB, Ryobi ETP1531AK, Axminster CT 344) it seem the delta comes out on top for finish, and the only thing it seems to be critisized on is its small extension tables but from the pictures I have seen this seems to have been rectified.

I have found a dealer in this country selling this machine thetoolstoredirect.co.uk/store/gbu-prodshow/Delta-22-560.html but the item no and picture dont match up with the ones on the delta website.

Here are my concerns:
1. Does the item No. and picture represent the actual item?
2. Can you buy knives in this country?
3. Will this one break like the last one / have they made any improvements?
4. Would I be dissapointed with the finish if I bought the DeWalt?

I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE NO MATTER WHAT MACHINE YOU OWN BEFORE I DEPART WITH MY HARD EARNED CASH!!!!

Pete, the picture on the website you mentioned is of a 580, the 2 speed model which effectively replaced the 560. The 560 is now known as the Shopmaster 305 or something similar on the North American market.
The 580 was never imported here but there maybe a few 560s left but there'll be hard to find I suspect.
Is your own totally beyond repair? What part of the casting broke?

Hi Pete

Have a look here at a US comparison of planers. The Makita 2012NB came first and the Delta second. FWW also rated the Mak as best planer.

Have a search on this site, just type "2012NB".

I have found the Mak to be excellent.

Cheers,
Neil

Noel,
The casting that has broken is the main carriage that slides up and down the four posts, this holds the motor, cutter block, rollers etc.. in addition to that, one of the top castings that the height adjustment handle passes through has also cracked. In my opinion I would say its pretty much had it!!

Pete

Back