waney edge oak board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Please bear with me, as I have an idea in my head but may have difficulty expressing it...

I'd like to make a set of shelves using waney edged oak. However, I'd like it to be done with the edge of the log, so the bottom of the shelves have a curve (if that made sense). I'd saw one edge so the shelves sit flush against the wall.

Is it possible to buy stuff like this? I'd like to use oak but that's not 100% fixed. Any attractive hardwood would be fine.

The alternative is to acquire logs, and saw them/have them sawn to my spec. How long approximately would it take for newly sawn timber to season if I stored it in an inside cupboard? I appreciate it will probably vary, but can anyone give me a ballpark idea?

Thanks!

disco_monkey79":28u6kzav said:
How long approximately would it take for newly sawn timber to season if I stored it in an inside cupboard? I appreciate it will probably vary, but can anyone give me a ballpark idea?

Thanks!
The general rule seems to be around 12 months per 1" of thickness, and that would be drying it 'in stick', outdoors so you get the wind through it and even drying.

I would think that drying it in a cupboard indoors would just lead to it splitting itself in half with the uneven drying.

There are plenty of woodyards that will do waney boards, I would suggest giving some a call. There is a good sticky thread somewhere listing loads of UK woodyards.

:D

I'm not sure where you are disco but the mill I use for sawn green oak generally cuts what you are after up for firewood and there are always huge piles of it in the yard so it would have had some air drying already. I'm sure they would not charge a lot for it as its usually waste from when they mill round butts into structural timber.

You may also be able to purchase the top & bottom boards from airdried through & through sawn butts for a reasonable sum as again its not what most people want

If you can add a rough location to your profile it would help.

Jason

Thanks all for the replies.

Trim - I figured drying stuff indoors would have been quicker, but I didn;t consider the effects of uneven drying.

Jason - that's reassuring! Normally, when I have an idea, it rapidly gets discarded as I find I've massively underestimated costs!

I'm near Aylesbury in Bucks, but spend a bit of time in SE London.

Cheers!

disco_monkey79":2l6dvtri said:
I'm near Aylesbury in Bucks,

try the national trust estate at ashridge (near tring) they have their own saw mill. (01442 851227 thats the estate office the saw mill doesnt have a direct line)

also there is a mill out near watlington, layton timber, pyrton hill 01491 613222

and thirdly there is brill sawmills (who are actually in long crendon) , call 01844 202440

if none of these can help , "deep in wood" in besseleigh near oxford are virtually guaranteed to have what you are after (01865 390268 )

I made one of these myself over the weekend out of lime and oak.

I'll take some pics.

Not that that will help you source the timber you need, but I got mine from a small (one man) local woodyard.

I've no experience of doing it, but if the bottom surface of the shelf (as i think you mean) is to be the natural outer surface of the log then you would need what amounts to a (i think) a crown cut piece. (a slice off the side, not a pizza slice)

This could i think be quite inclined to warp....

Latest posts

Back