Wallpapering

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying haggis

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody used the "paste the wall" wallpaper? I have got some to do but I am used to the "paste the paper" type. Any tips??

The last papering I did I was surprised that it said on the paper to paste the walls so I did and it worked really well, is a lot easier and there was no soak time with rolls hanging over doors. I guess it's only suitable when using paper designed for it but I will certainly use it again if I need to. Go for it.

I tried it some time ago, but ended up having to paste the paper as well. The walls just sooked up all the paste if you were slow at papering like me. Who remembers Novamura?

I have used it several times both in my own house and those of family members without any issues. Do make sure you size the walls first and let dry, that will stop the wall from soaking up the paste you use to hang the paper.

Thanks for the replies.
Some say just paste the paper instead of the wall despite the instructions saying paste the wall.

So if you hear lots of swearing from North Norfolk in the next couple of days it will be me............................

Definitely size the walls. Maybe get up really really really early, or earlier than that, if it's a sunny room. Even though it's nowhere near as hot as it has been its still 23 ish. Did some outdoor painting last week and it was drying too quickly for comfort.

Agree 100% about sizing the wall, I've recently had to wallpaper a feature wall for SWMBO, and she purchased paste the wall, wallpaper. Having not used it before I was a bit dubious, but it went up very easily, and there was no shrinkage gaps when it dried, presumably as the wallpaper hadn't been soaked in paste.
( I do remember many years ago asking someone if he had sized the walls prior to wallpapering, his reply was 'of course I measured the @#* walls!...:rolleyes:)

No wall paper in this house (hooray) but done more than my fair share of wall papering in previous properties.

I've tried pasting machines and several other "go faster" approaches but have always come back to, size the wall, paste the paper on a decent sized table, make sure every section of the paper is pasted, hang, don't roller the edges, just a brush and a cloth and then trim top and bottom with a Harris trimmer.

does anyone remember the paper triming machines of old.....
my dad sent me back to the "ironmongers " for another roll.....
had to stand and wait while he trimmed of the ends with some old rattly machine....
the good old days....hahaha........
I did it prof for a while, but refused to use Anaglypta (pressed paper)....

when I left California....40 odd years ago.....wall paper was the in fashion thing.....
I got 9$ a drop upto 9ft in hight and 11$ a drop upto 16ft.....
made a lot of money there as nobody wanted to do it.....
clean work and stunning blondes........oh happy days....

No wall paper in this house (hooray) but done more than my fair share of wall papering in previous properties.

I've tried pasting machines and several other "go faster" approaches but have always come back to, size the wall, paste the paper on a decent sized table, make sure every section of the paper is pasted, hang, don't roller the edges, just a brush and a cloth and then trim top and bottom with a Harris trimmer.
How are you settling in Ian. We looked at the place you bought but my wife decided it wasn’t for us. We bought a place a couple of miles down the road instead and finally moved at the end of July. Now need to build a workshop.

+1 for sizing the wall first. I've always used paste the paper but I've just done two rooms with paste the wall. First room I did I just used normal Solvite wallpaper paste in quite a thick mix, didn't go on too well and not much slip to line up the paper. 2nd room, I used the proper Solvite 'Paste The Wall' paste - whata difference, it's a very fine flake and mixes well with absolutely no lumps. Pasted it on the wall and the wallpaper slid nicely into position. Make sure you get plenty of paste on the wall especially around the edges. Wipe off any that gets on the paper with a damp cloth.

The other thing to be aware of, after you've cut the strip to length +100mm, either have someone hold the roll away from the wall whilst you position at the top, or if you are using a stepladder, place the rolled strip on the front side of the steps (with the stepladder between the paper and the wall) then unroll from there. Otherwise the roll will bounce/stick onto the wall and get paste all over it.

Good luck

Steve

I remember when my parents decorated our house they had to cut the selvage off from the sides of the rolls with scissors before being able to use the rolls, at least we dont have to do that anymore!!!

I tried it some time ago, but ended up having to paste the paper as well. The walls just sooked up all the paste if you were slow at papering like me. Who remembers Novamura?
I used Novamura many moons ago and got on with it quite well as far as I remember

I used Novamura many moons ago and got on with it quite well as far as I remember
It would stretch quite a bit, which was handy for really uneven walls. I tore very easily once on the wall. It was easy to strip, but came off on really small pieces. Very 70's patterns.

The other thing to be aware of, after you've cut the strip to length +100mm, either have someone hold the roll away from the wall whilst you position at the top, or if you are using a stepladder, place the rolled strip on the front side of the steps (with the stepladder between the paper and the wall) then unroll from there. Otherwise the roll will bounce/stick onto the wall and get paste all over it.

Good luck

Steve
A tip I found for hanging paste the wall wallpaper is to reverse roll the bottom section of each of strip you are putting up, the face side of the wallpaper will not then get covered in paste when you hang it. Also, I always use an Aris wallpaper trimmer to trim the wallpaper after putting it up, it gives you a neat edge every time.

Back