Wall cupboards with no wall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martin.pearson

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Just moved into a new industrial unit & I'm not sure yet if they are going to let me put my wall cupboards up on the workshop walls. Sure I would be able to make up some sort of framework in order to still be able to use them as wall cupboards. Each cupboard probably doesn't have a huge amount of weight in them but I have about a dozen in total, combination of double & single cupboards so quite a bit of weight in total.
So looking for some advice on the best way to do this if it's possible, not something I have really done before.

Why not use them as floor cupboards. Sit a row of them on a plinth and then sit another row of them on top. Join them to a sheet of ply or battens on the back.

Colin

A good idea.

Can you pin a sheet or 2 of ply to the wall? You could hang them off the ply or, if the ceiling height is 2.4 for instance, there may be an option to pin the top of the sheets in place inbetween joists? What do you have to work with?

You could make your own stud wall which pushes up against their wall and build feet that stick out to stop it falling over, do you have any base units that you could put onto the "feet"?

I've got floor cupboards as well which is why I wanted them up in the air, I still have to check with the Industrial estate manager but one of the other tenants said you were not allowed to put anything on the walls which is why I was asking the question. It's an industrial unit so roof is pretty high, not sure if I am allowed to use any of the internal walls or roof at all just now so this is to give me some idea of what to do if that is the case. The unit is bigger than the place I have just had to leave so I guess I could use them as floor cupboards if I had to but to be honest I would rather they were off the floor & if I need to then I can buy extra floor cupboards. I am hoping not to have to move again so at the moment looking at this as the last time I have to move.
Quite happy to have a go at building some sort of stud wall that would be free standing as I won't be able to tie it to the existing wall.

Hey Martin, see if this link sparks some ideas Industrial cantilever racking

Thanks for the link. Not sure if I could adapt that to fit the cupboards, probably could with a bit of thought though lol, failing that then it might be a good option for storing some of my wood, been looking for a way to do that more efficiently lol

If it's an industrial unit how far apart are the steel uprights.

Can you not clamp some 4x2 timber horizontaly to them?

IE two piece of 4x2 with a rebate out of the face of one slight less than the steel thickness and clamp over the steel I beam?

Perhaps with a couple of fence posts to take the weight verticaly.

Cheers James

Back