Wadkin Vs Wadkin Bursgreen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldi76

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a general question that you may have heard many times, but I could not find a clear answer on the web:
What is the difference between Wadkin Bursgreen and Wadkin machines (new)? For example, Wadkin SJR surface planer vs Wadkin Bursgreen WB S410, or Wadkin AT Thicknesser vs Wadkin Bursgreen WB T530?
I am not referring in particular to differences in the technical specs (such as width of cut or maximum stock removal), but rather would like to ask if there are any fundamental differences between the two brands? Which brand is more faithful to the legendary original 'Wadkin' in terms of built quality, reliability, robustness, etc.?
Are Wadkin and Wadkin Bursgreen woodworking machines still made in the UK (including the motors)?

I am interested in purchasing a surface planer and a thicknesser - it's a bit confusing that two different manufacturers bear the name 'Wadkin', so any assistance is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eldi

Wadkin is owned by Daltons in Nottingham, Wadkin Bursgreen is owned by Advanced Machinery Services in Leicester. Daltons provide some of the later models Wadkin produced like the DM morticer and the BRA radial arm saw. AMS sell Chinese machines with a sticker on but do manufacture and stock parts for the older Wadkin machines at extortionate prices.

Last edited:
There was a bit of a battle over the intellectual property rights when wadkin went completely. I dont think you can compare any of those machines to the ones built in wadkins prime. The thicknesser is probably manufactured by the same people just badged differently. Both companies will rebuild a classic machine to a very high standard.
£7k for a planer is a lot of money. You could get a RM built like jacks for that and still have change.

Thank you Trevanion and wallace!

I was very surprised to read that AMS sells ‘Wadkin Bursgreen’ machinery which is made in China.

It is important for me not to purchase ‘made in China’ machines. Lately I have purchased a new Sedgwick Saw Bench and I first made sure the machine was made in England (I also asked about the motor, I didn’t want an imported Chinese motor). I hope to get the saw bench soon, it was shipped to me by sea-freight.

Wallace, I am new to this forum, so I have to ask – when you wrote “built like jacks”, do you refer to Jack Forsberg? I searched the forum and encountered this name in the context of rebuilding old Wadkin machines.

I now tend towards buying an old Wadkin planer thicknesser machine and use the services of AMS or Daltons to rebuilt it.
Do you have any further recommendation as to who can do a great job of taking an old classic machine and bring it to a very high level? Where should I start looking for an old Wadkin?
I live in Australia and I’m not very familiar with the British companies in this market, so I would be grateful for any assistance I can get.

And one more question: There are different Wadkin planer thicknessers models such as RM, FM, BTS, UOS, BAOS…is there one that is especially recommended? Or one model to try and avoid?

Thank you!
Eldi

Do you have any further recommendation as to who can do a great job of taking an old classic machine and bring it to a very high level? Where should I start looking for an old Wadkin? I live in Australia and I’m not very familiar with the British companies in this market, so I would be grateful for any assistance I can get.
It might be useful to ask here, as well: ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE MACHINERY

Miles

The RM is in my eyes the best planer wadkin made, it was replaced by the FM in the late 5O's. Machines like the UOS and BAOS are still very good but I dont think have the same quality.

I'm pleased to find that someone has the sense to reject the Chinese rubbish disguised thinly with a locally applied badge.
It's high time substantial duties are applied to imports that destroy our industries. It's becoming impossible to avoid the work of the drop shippers who never even see the carp they import!
Our furniture industry has been severely damaged, together with many engineering and tool making companies. It must be time to think again.

It might be useful to ask here, as well: ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE MACHINERY

Miles
Thank you Miles, I will certainly check this website.

I'm pleased to find that someone has the sense to reject the Chinese rubbish disguised thinly with a locally applied badge.
It's high time substantial duties are applied to imports that destroy our industries. It's becoming impossible to avoid the work of the drop shippers who never even see the carp they import!
Our furniture industry has been severely damaged, together with many engineering and tool making companies. It must be time to think again.
Mike - can't agree more. In the past, every time I bought a Chinese made machine/instrument, I ended up regretting the purchase. For the last 5-6 years, I make sure NOT to purchase Chinese made machines or tools of any kind, I just cannot I stand the poor quality. Unfortunately, aside from Felder or Altendorf (beyond my budget), almost all woodworking machines sold in Australia are Chinese or Taiwanese. And the only Australian woodworking machine manufacturers (Woodfast and Carbated) also outsourced their manufacturing to China. I would rather purchase ‘made in Britain’ and thereby achieve two goals: get a quality machine that I will enjoy for many years, and support the British industry (and jobs).

The RM is in my eyes the best planer wadkin made, it was replaced by the FM in the late 5O's. Machines like the UOS and BAOS are still very good but I dont think have the same quality.
Thanks wallace, I will take this comment into account when choosing a planer-thicknesser.

Eldi

I agree with your sentiments about British manufacturing, but much of that was dead before the Chinese started sending stuff here.
Our manufacturing was killed by a combination of management greed and complacency.
If you look specifically at the demise of Wadkin, you could come to the conclusion that they were spending too much on directors perks and not enough on the future.

The above remarks may be correct for the car manufacturers wrecked by unions and management, but we had a thriving furniture industry until clowns in the Cotswolds started "carefully assembling" the contents of containers from China.
In the case of machinery and tooling it's very difficult to avoid the Chinese.
My Metabo drill/driver had served me well for years so when it died I ordered a new one .
On arrival that had the same name on but was marked "made in China"

I have seen some of perks that directors and shareholders would of got in the 8O's and they were silly. When a director thinks a private plane is good for business then you know something has to give.
It didn't help that they had a huge range of machines and seem to bring out a new moulder every 5 minutes

I’ve got a toolpost and toolholders made in China. They are superb quality, every bit as good as anything British, German or Swiss that I have used. And yes, I paid duty when I imported them, quite a bit of duty in fact.
I’m typing this on an iPad, made in China. I’m just about to build a cnc machine - most of the components will come from China. I bet that everyone posting in this thread is typing on a Chinese computer, and have a Chinese tv in their living rooms.

Mine are Korean :p, says so on the back. can someone give me a hand to put it back on the hooks

This is not the topic of the thread. However, just to clarify - I do my best to avoid Chinese products, whenever possible, not only because of the poor quality of most of them (imho), but also for my own ideological reasons.
Would you be able to estimate a reasonable price range for a Wadkin RM or FM in a working condition? Anyway, after purchasing I will rebuild to bring it to the highest possible level.

Would you be able to estimate a reasonable price range for a Wadkin RM or FM in a working condition? Anyway, after purchasing I will rebuild to bring it to the highest possible level.

Anywhere up to £2000 or so for a decent one, one sold on eBay UK for £240 today which was probably about what it was worth in scrap metal but it looked a pretty straight machine otherwise!

Anywhere up to £2000 or so for a decent one, one sold on eBay UK for £240 today which was probably about what it was worth in scrap metal but it looked a pretty straight machine otherwise!
That was £1OOO machine any day of the week, there must of been something wrong with it. Surely a dealer would know better

The problem is nobody would be prepared to pay the price of machines built in the traditional ‘Wadkin’ way today. It’s a shame, but a reality. Weinig manufacture in China, Altendorf manufacture in China, Homag manufacture in China.
It is a reality that some Chinese machines are rubbish and some are great. They have incredible manufacturing capabilities and a lot of highly educated hard working people.
People used to say similar things about Japanese products, they are now thought of as world leaders in engineering quality

Back