wadkin RS lathe restoration

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely job Mark. Like the spanner and also noticed a nice power feed in the background.

Jim

Thanks Jim, the power feed came with the EQ spindle moulder. I think it needs some new wheels, its also a pig to set up

The lathe is looking fantastic, I particularly like the refurbished black and gold plates, very smart

Hi Merlin / Wallace, at long last I have found out how to upload photos, so here are some of the RS for you to enjoy. Showing my indexing arrangement and the router attachment and a special drive and special tail stock pieces, and by the way the large faceplate is 6' 9" diameter, hope they are interest to you, thanks a lot Stan.

Putting in flutes (14).JPG

Purpose made tailstock center.JPG

Purpose made headstock drive.JPG

Machining log (5).JPG

Machining log (3).JPG

Complete indexing unit.JPG

Complete indexing unit (2).JPG

Attachments

• Complete indexing unit (2).JPG
    Complete indexing unit (2).JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Complete indexing unit.JPG
    Complete indexing unit.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Machining log (3).JPG
    Machining log (3).JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Machining log (5).JPG
    Machining log (5).JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Purpose made headstock drive.JPG
    Purpose made headstock drive.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Purpose made tailstock center.JPG
    Purpose made tailstock center.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Putting in flutes (14).JPG
    Putting in flutes (14).JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 115
  • View of large faceplate.JPG
    View of large faceplate.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 98
Hello Stan,

Looks fantastic - an RS doing what it does best.

The indexing set up looks very good .... would the maker of such a thing be interested in making another?

Merlin

Hello Merlin
Thanks for your kind words. In answer to your question NO I am the maker and also a septuagenarian who is running out of time in life. A short history of the lathe. it was 8" centre height I lowered the bed on the headstock and had a block cast to raise the tailstock and made a new leg as I was joining two together. the piece of wood in the lathe was actually a tree trunk just for testing the lathe I made a new fitting for the headstock drive and tailstock so it couldn't come out then I made the router bracket (that was easy) but I had to make a dovetailed stop for the cross slide because it kept altering it's self. The indexing plunger I picked up at an auto-jumble and the division wheel with circles of 24,20,9 & 7 holes I made on a Colchester student lathe. I also made a cap to fit the spindle so as to remove the drive centre easily. I also made patterns and had some faceplates cast. PS I don't use the lathe wood turning lathes bl---- frighten me. Cheers Stan

Back